Monday October 8, 2024

Started by Jim Donovan, October 07, 2024, 09:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

Good Morning Folks;

I'm going to post this message just to get the topic up then a second to update what I am up to.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

deemery

Greetings from a wet SE NH, where it's seasonably cool.  We need the rain, but NOT in the amounts predicted for Florida.  

I might have an update on the wood truss bridge later today.  Yesterday I started work on the iron tension rods.  I need to paint them and then start installing them onto the model.  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jim Donovan

OK, that way anyone else posts at least we have the same topic thread started. So today, I woke up and the storm I was hoping would go away did not. Milton apparently is a Florida boy and wants to visit the beach before it blows it away. Frankly this one worries me for our area much more than the last one. It may not be a wide as the other was but it is big enough and will be well organized when it hits. I have a son that lives on Tampa Bay and told him he could stay with us. He said he'd be watching and let me know. They live in a house meeting new 13.5 high standards so he thought they'd be fine. At that point I kind of lost it. Told him to get out of the house now because if Milton does come in around Tampa he was not going too have a house. I was here for him but once storm hit I had no way to get him safely out. I am sure we will talk again today. Kids......

We are getting batten down, have all supplies on hand so I guess we will stay. Traffic on major roads out of Florida already bumper to bumper. Anyway will check in later.

Jim

ACL1504

Morning all,

I'm all set. For the past 6 months, I checked and started the generator just to make sure it runs.  It did and I kept the battery on a trickle charge. Every time for 6 months it started the first time. Now the damn thing won't start.  >:( I am more the pi**ed.

Have a safe next three day my Fla. friends and a healthy day for the rest.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Good morning.

Thoughts and prayers for the Florida members facing an onslaught from Milton.

I did get out yesterday for a road trip to check out a portion of the former D L&W branch line between Cortland, NY and Cincinnatus, NY.  Of course, I got distracted when I stopped for lunch and absolutely had to go shopping in the nearby plaza.  The biggest score, though not the most expensive was some foam to pad my freight car kit boxes. I'm sick of breaking off brake wheels and other small parts.  Hopefully, this will work.

I just finished paying a handful of bills this morning, so between that and my shopping detour yesterday I somewhat depleted my bank account.  The sound system for my railroad I scored on ebay didn't help my finances either. Ah well, pretty sure I cannot take it with me when I go...

The sun is out this morning and the rain forecast for the overnight hours missed me.  Looks like a mostly sunny though breezy and cool day with a high around sixty degrees.  No specific plans, though I should get out the string trimmer and clean up what I cannot reach with the mower. 

I hope everyone has a safe day!

Jerry

ReadingBob

Morning all,

Good luck getting your son to evacuate, Jim. 

Dang.  Now you have me worried, Tom.  I just filled the generator but didn't try to start it.  Last time I used it I drained the tank and ran it until it stopped so there'd be no fuel in the lines.  I didn't want to fill it but it looks like we're going to need it and I want to go refill the gas cans so I have those on hand. 

I gave up on the electric starter.  I replaced the battery years ago, had the charger plugged in to keep it charged too.  Last time I needed it the electric start didn't work.  I had to resort to pulling the cord to get it started.

Only two things left to do.  Fill the aforementioned gas cans (I'll do that at lunch) and take down a small, plastic fence/gate.  That got taken out by a prior hurricane (the screws holding the hinges in place pulled out of the wall).  Easy fix but it's even easier to simply unscrew the hinges and put the thing in the garage until everything's over.

I hope to get a little workbench time in this afternoon.

Have a great one!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jerryrbeach

I forgot to post a photo I took yesterday in Cortland. This is across the tracks from the former Lackawanna passenger station.  This former factory is now an apartment complex. 
Jerry

tom.boyd.125

Afternoon check in...sunny, cool and very dry here. Farmers are taking down the dried corn and soybeans. Air is very dusty outdoors. Sandy gave me the day off yesterday to watch the NFL Bears as long as I do laundry and clean the house...bench time was made too...nice photo Jerry...To all in Florida, Stay Safe !!!
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Zephyrus52246

Afternoon  all.

Late check in.  Have been up and to Cosco and the grocery store.  Checked with PT to see if they got the referral from neurosurgery and they have.   :)

Hope y'all in Florida do OK with the storm.  Sounds like another doozy.  

Still working on the small structure, but did get the small piece of track painted. 

Jeff

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 07, 2024, 10:04:13 AMMorning all,

I'm all set. For the past 6 months, I checked and started the generator just to make sure it runs.  It did and I kept the battery on a trickle charge. Every time for 6 months it started the first time. Now the damn thing won't start.  >:( I am more the pi**ed.

Have a safe next three day my Fla. friends and a healthy day for the rest.

Tom
Modern electronics are equipped with an "Urgency of Need Sensor."  They can tell when you really need them, so they know when to fail.   :-X ;D

Seriously, best to everyone with this storm.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jim Donovan

Good Evening Folks;

Thought I would check in again with day chores done. I noticed that while I get an A for opening up the club house today I get an F for knowing what day it is. Oh well we will do groundhog day again tomorrow.

Our one neighbor is up north for the summer so we helped out and moved all their patio furniture into the house. Either it is getting heavier or I am getting older, I'm going with heavier. We are stock up, generator (it is a pull type to run the refrigerator and a couple of lights) is up an running and most everything put away. I will move the rest tomorrow after seeing where this hurricane wants to go. From the latest track of storm forecast it may pass overhead as a category 2 but my guess is it will head over Orlando instead now that it knows Tom's generator isn't working  ;D ;D.

The NMRA Sunshine Region Convention was to be held this week in Ocala and I was looking forward to going. I have been re-building and fixing up a building (flour mill) I made to get judged but the convention has been canceled so the pressure is off to complete the re-work.  I imagine I will get some time in on the project while waiting on the storm. One part of the structure I ended up simply making a new building. Instead of wood construction I used the 3D printer to the max to created the entire building in one piece (roof and floor separately. Thought I'd share some photos of it as it was made:

It certainly is a different way to make something. That building is now done but I have to attach it to others yet. I'll share photos when all together. See you tomorrow.

Jim