The Empire

Started by Zephyrus52246, August 31, 2014, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Looking good Jeff.  Just keep making progress.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Mark.  Yes, even a little bit of work eventually shows progress.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Thank you, Curt.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, John.  Nice to see you're progression on your layout as well in the Gazette.

Jeff

ACL1504

Jeff,

Steady work even though slow as you say. I like the scene of the Bailey's at the river's and track edge.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Tom.  The difficult part will be blending the new scenery around it so it matches. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I have some details to add to the streets, lamp posts, hydrants, mailboxes and trash receptacles.  I put the structure (moving them for the millionth time) so I could see how the lamp posts would fit.  This led to the dilemma of the corner structure.  It's entryway butts out into the side walk, so I have to decide to let it or to move it backward where it no longer blocks the sidewalk.  If I move it back, it narrows the alleyway and the building I had projected to use behind it no longer fits.  I'll leave it a day or two, but I'm leaning towards letting it hang over. 

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Outstanding modeling Jeff.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, Jeff.

If you rotate the brick building 90 degrees anticlockwise, so that its front faces the side street, will it then fit?  I definitely like the corner building with the protrusion back from the curb as in the last two photos.  I wonder whether consent would be given to encroach on the footpath like that? It just feels a bit too claustrophobic to me...  The second arrangement also allows for some nice mini scenes in those two set back areas.

Cheers, Mark.

Zephyrus52246

That's why I love this forum.   I've moved these things around many times, but never thought to have one face the street, though I've put many buildings in this spot, I never thought to turn it to the street.   But I don't like it with this structure.  It's a Monster Modelworks kit and I've always thought it was out of scale.  See it next to the HO figure?  windows and doors are very tall.  Also the second floor windows are much higher than the cigar store's.  The Budweiser sign looks weird cut off as well. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

But you are correct that the cigar store looks weird sticking over the sidewalk, plus a street lamp goes on the sidewalk here.  I'll move it back, and use this two story building, though I may build another one (I think it's the Gemini Building from DPM), as this one is not my best effort, or try a different structure here facing the street.  .  Plus I can get a larger decal for the side to show onto the street, and it will better show the buildings on the street behind as the 3 story building really blocks them. 

Thanks for your help, Mark.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Or maybe two Downtown Deco kits here.  The hardware store is also sold as a Tattoo shop which I have in the stash.  I also have another of the skinny bar, which I'd build and leave the side sign off.  Hmmm.  Decisions, decisions.  ::)

Jeff

Mark Dalrymple

Great stuff, Jeff.

I'm always a bit scare to speak up - not wanting to offend and all that - but I'm doing it more and more of late...

I agree completely about the monster modelworks structure.  I once made a mock up which was modified from a set of scale plans in a MRR mag and put it in position next to my Heljan brewery kitbash.  The brewery absolutely dwarfed it - made it look stupid and all out of scale - even though it was correct to the prototype.  I blew the plans up 125% and redid the mock-up and it looked terrific - so I scratchbuilt the model at 125%.  It has to 'look right' firstly.

I like the look and scale of the DD kits - but I wonder about taking out the small one and having an alleyway instead?  Less is more and all that.  They look a little crammed in as you have them...

Cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

A good 5 cent cigar.....does such a thing exist? Great job on the kit 
Jeff.  8)

After looking at the photos and reading the comments about scale of the buildings, I tend to agree that the proportions of the brick building look a bit off. The theater next door seems to have the reverse problem, as it looks to be very narrow for what is supposed  to be inside, basically a big room for an audience and a stage for the performers.

Because most modelers do not have an unlimited amount of space for their layouts, I believe a number of kit manufacturers adjust the dimensions of buildings to make them from getting to big for our little empires. I have not purchased a number of kits because the building width, length or height did not provide the room inside to meet the intent of the business occupying the building.

I suppose we need to be careful during the purchasing process that we take this matter into consideration. Just a thought.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Road widths are always subject to "selective compression" ;D

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to