The Empire

Started by Zephyrus52246, August 31, 2014, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Jeff,

I spend a lot of time (too much maybe) looking at photos of buildings in small towns as I work on trying to find the best composition for my layout.  I have noticed that buildings vary greatly in heights, probably due to when they were constructed, as well as the budget.  Many early structures in the northeast had eight foot or lower ceiling heights.  I ave read this was done to make them easier to heat.  Others built in around the same time period or at a slightly later date had much higher ceilings, especially in commercial buildings.  John Nehrich has written several pieces on the various types of architecture and how they impacted the look and size of structures. 

All that said, I agree with Mark's basic point that structures, even though prototypical in size, need to be arranged on a layout so they compliment each other.  If that means increasing or decreasing the size of the model proportionally, so be it.  that's my two cents, and probably not worth the copper in the pennies...

Jerry
Jerry

Jerry

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on January 20, 2024, 12:03:01 AMGreat stuff, Jeff.

I'm always a bit scare to speak up - not wanting to offend and all that - but I'm doing it more and more of late...

I agree completely about the monster modelworks structure.  I once made a mock up which was modified from a set of scale plans in a MRR mag and put it in position next to my Heljan brewery kitbash.  The brewery absolutely dwarfed it - made it look stupid and all out of scale - even though it was correct to the prototype.  I blew the plans up 125% and redid the mock-up and it looked terrific - so I scratchbuilt the model at 125%.  It has to 'look right' firstly.

I like the look and scale of the DD kits - but I wonder about taking out the small one and having an alleyway instead?  Less is more and all that.  They look a little crammed in as you have them...

Cheers, Mark.

I agree with Mark completely.

Sometimes buildings even though there the right scale just don't seem to fit together properly.

But your doing a fine job.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for looking in, Greg.  Considering the "films" the theatre shows, it's probably just big enough.   :)

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for looking in Jerry and Jerry and your comments. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

You are correct again, Mark.  I thought the space between them was a bit too wide, but I can fit a car in here, along with some trash.  I like putting the police car here, maybe having them rough up some drunken miscreant.  Thanks for your help.  And keep on helping.   :D  I don't mind criticism, and your comments have really helped.

Jeff

ACL1504

Jeff,

I like the change to a smaller structure. Of course, I also agree about having a patrol car in the alley to "preserve the peace."

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Great looking structure.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

I really like this Jeff.

I went back to page 34 for a comparison and I think this works so much better.  You could always add a row of bins and other such clutter to seemingly reduce the width of the alleyway if you feel it is necessary.  Perhaps a park bench in front of that window?  Maybe a tree in a grate?  Proportions work very well.

Cheers, Mark.

Zephyrus52246

Hi Tom.  I kinda thought you would like to see a police car in that alley.   :D

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Zephyrus52246

Mark, I think I'll have benches on both of the "inset" sidewalks now that the cigar store has moved back a bit.  Some other clutter will fill the alley as well.  Thanks again for the suggestion.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The town needed some streetlights.  I painted these months ago.  They are made by Tichy.  I drill a hole in the base and insert a wire.  This placed in some styrofoam so they could be airbrushed.  Also, I can drill a hole in the sidewalk for placement and if they lean a bit, just bend them up to straight. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I then had to decide how far apart to make them.  My first attempt had too many lights, the next blocked some of the theater marquis.  Finally decided on placement and put them in place. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

There are still some hydrants, and a couple of mailboxes to add.  LPs will come later.  

Of course, I was being supervised the whole time.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Replaced the town, hopefully for the last time.  Needed to trim some of the scenery on the right edge as the gatorfoam base didn't quite fit.  Next I need to finish the side street.  I went back and forth between using some Monster Modelworks Cobblestones here, but thought between the paved town and Bailey's Produce parking lot it would look odd.  So I used some thin plastic product called Sintra here, that I've used before for roads.  Cut to fit.  Now it's time to paint it and then hopefully weather it so it matches the streets.  

Jeff