The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tct855

Hollywood! Now there's a movie...  It seems when Hollywood gets involved with guns, the phrase shoot'em all and let God sort'em out! ha.  KP-out...

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 10, 2018, 03:47:42 PM
Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 10, 2018, 01:22:32 PM
Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on September 10, 2018, 11:48:21 AM
Here's how I put the crown on the roads.  The base is 1/8 inch masonite.  The road surface is 2mm Sintra (A PVC plastic).  I used a piece of stripwood to raise the center.  It's a six inch rise on a 26 foot wide road.  Too much crown?  Not enough?

Jeff

Jeff,

Isn't it interesting how prior employment can fill your head with miscellaneous and sometimes useful information?

Jerry,

Not referring to you but in my world of prior employment I refer to this minutiae as superfluous BS. ;D ;D ;D 

I can't stand to watch any law enforcement shows as I see all the mistakes being made like throwing bullets Lone Ranger style. Officer safety is off the charts and it drives me crazy. And that doesn't take much.

Tom 8)

Tom,

Why is it that when someone says something doesn't apply to you, you immediately think the opposite? 

Seriously my friend, I love your roads.  The two photos you posted have so many wonderful little touches.  I especially like the wood guard rail posts in the second shot, and the way the road in the first shot blends into the backdrop.  Beautiful modeling!
Jerry

ACL1504

Quote from: tct855 on September 10, 2018, 05:42:40 PM
Hollywood! Now there's a movie...  It seems when Hollywood gets involved with guns, the phrase shoot'em all and let God sort'em out! ha.  KP-out...

KP,

Exactly right my friend. They through more than bullets these days as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 11, 2018, 08:41:44 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on September 10, 2018, 03:47:42 PM
Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 10, 2018, 01:22:32 PM
Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on September 10, 2018, 11:48:21 AM
Here's how I put the crown on the roads.  The base is 1/8 inch masonite.  The road surface is 2mm Sintra (A PVC plastic).  I used a piece of stripwood to raise the center.  It's a six inch rise on a 26 foot wide road.  Too much crown?  Not enough?

Jeff

Jeff,

Isn't it interesting how prior employment can fill your head with miscellaneous and sometimes useful information?

Jerry,

Not referring to you but in my world of prior employment I refer to this minutiae as superfluous BS. ;D ;D ;D 

I can't stand to watch any law enforcement shows as I see all the mistakes being made like throwing bullets Lone Ranger style. Officer safety is off the charts and it drives me crazy. And that doesn't take much.

Tom 8)

Tom,

Why is it that when someone says something doesn't apply to you, you immediately think the opposite? 

Seriously my friend, I love your roads.  The two photos you posted have so many wonderful little touches.  I especially like the wood guard rail posts in the second shot, and the way the road in the first shot blends into the backdrop.  Beautiful modeling!

Jerry,

In reference to the comment, I guess it's human nature to say that. When I typed it I was thinking, "I hope he doesn't think I'm referring to him." Hence the declaimer. ;D ;D

Thank you for the very kind and generous comment on the layout work and roads.

I'm going to try and get more ground level photos of the layout in the near future.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I was going to show some issues with ballasting track yesterday. However, I got side tracked and excited about another project.

I'll go over the ballasting thing later next week if not sooner.

I started to ballast the run around track, the track that circles the round house, and came up with another idea for a little more detailing in the round house/turntable area.

Bob Leonard and I were talking one day and he mentioned or rather asked how the sand got into the sand bin. I was going to tell him Jimmy D. was sending some of his little people down to handle the task.

To make it more believable, I'm adding a sand pit, next to the sand bin.

I also shot a video of how I use the jigsaw to cut a line in the plywood without using a drilled hole as a starting point. As in all things Mr. Murphy has in his bag, he got me again on this one.

After doing all the work and narrating as I cut, the video camera ran out of memory half way thorough the video. Seems like I never removed the hours of video of the F&SM I took two years ago.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I removed the track and used the jigsaw to cut out the area shown below. No pilot hole was used to make the initial cut.

I covered the hole with blue painters tape and then ballasted the track next to the new sand pit.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Oops,

Look like I'm getting my tennis shoes in the act also.

More in a few, need a cold Diet Pepsi.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then removed a few ties from the track.

I made a small pit box to fit under the hole. I used black foam board.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used Weldwood Contact Cement to glue the box under the layout.

I took this photo so you get to see it in place, from the bottom up! ;D ;D ;D

I used some scrap styrene to line the sand pit sides.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The long side pieces were removed and notched.

The sides were then glued in place and painted with Floquil Aged Concrete.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I added sand to the bottom of the pit.

Cross bars were added to the sides and glued into the slots on the top.

I used Evergreen StripStyrene, .035" rods for the cross bars.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The cross bars were painted with Floquil Grimy Black and while still wet, I sprinkled some sand over the bars.

Tomorrow I'll finish the sand pit to include the track.

I appreciate all whom follow along on the adventure.

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln