The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

I'm sure it will look excellent when you're done, like everything else you do. Yes I plan on visiting on Saturday.  :)
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Blazeman

Tom:  Are the sheets the same thickness as the cork road bed, or do you have to shim?

ACL1504

Quote from: mark dalrymple on July 02, 2019, 07:06:18 PM
Looking good, Tom.

Will be a fun area to watch come together.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark,

Hey, long time no see! Yes, this will be fun and I'm looking forward to it as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 02, 2019, 07:10:52 PM
I'm sure it will look excellent when you're done, like everything else you do. Yes I plan on visiting on Saturday.  :)

Curt,

Thank you for the vote of confidence on the project. I hope it turns out as planned.

See you Saturday morning. Lots of new stuff since your last visit.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on July 03, 2019, 08:55:14 AM
Tom:  Are the sheets the same thickness as the cork road bed, or do you have to shim?

Larry,

Thank for stopping by and great question. I'll answer your question later this afternoon with photos and a little ink slinging as well.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The Walthers brick street sections/sheets are made so the rails match a section of track. I use code 83 Micro Engineering flex track. The ties are the same height as the bottom of the rail pit and the brick street piece.

Here is a look see.

I know the Atlas and Walthers/Shinohara flex track ties are slightly higher than the ME flex track. So a test fit is always advisable.

Now, the pink foam board is the same height, 1/4", as the cork roadbed. This makes it easy as the plastic street pieces fit on the cork roadbed and on the pink foam without the need for any shimming.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is how the rails, less the ties, will fit on the street brick.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I laid the five street sections in place and end to end. I made sure I had a good fit. In order to keep them in the correct order, I numbered the sections 1-5. The arrow tells me to place this piece with the numbered end facing south.

All five sections are now painted with full strength with Floquil Oxide Red. The sections are dry to the touch but not yet cured. If I try to add any coloring to the bricks at this stage, the Oxide Red and the other colors will bleed together. I'll need to wait several days for the Floquil paint to fully cure.

More tomorrow -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Hi Tom, The gantry crane shows 4 rails. I went to walthers and nothing like your's. I found track inserts but it looks different...... Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Quote from: DennisBourey on July 03, 2019, 06:05:19 PM
Hi Tom, The gantry crane shows 4 rails. I went to walthers and nothing like your's. I found track inserts but it looks different...... Dennis

Dennis,

It all comes in the box. I'm just using the middle section and leaving off the gantry side pieces.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Bruce Oberleitner

This is looking very cool Uncle Tommie.  Is this going to be in the center of a major townsite?

BTW, I've been doing better and better on the new meds as of late.  I think the doc has found the right combination!

Cheers.

Also, I noticed a large increase of traffic near your firework stand on the layout.  Could there be a reason for this?  Did they start selling Diet Pepsi?  Just saying.

Have a wonderful 4th of July my friend.

;D ;D :o

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on July 04, 2019, 10:25:58 AM
This is looking very cool Uncle Tommie.  Is this going to be in the center of a major townsite?

BTW, I've been doing better and better on the new meds as of late.  I think the doc has found the right combination!

Cheers.

Also, I noticed a large increase of traffic near your firework stand on the layout.  Could there be a reason for this?  Did they start selling Diet Pepsi?  Just saying.

Have a wonderful 4th of July my friend.

;D ;D :o

Cousin Brucie,

Always good to see you. This will be the street running down to middle of Tahope. Street running speed restricted to 10 MPH.

Very happy to hear the new meds are working. Maybe this is the magic combination.

Three Fingered Freddy's has been very busy selling fireworks and Diet Pepsi. ;D ;D BTW, It's 2:48 PM here and I've only had half of a 17 oz. bottle of DP.

Hope your 4th is a fun one.

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Well, I find myself about 40 photos behind in posting but I'll get to them all eventually.

The black line in the next photo is where the brick street was going to end. I decided instead of cutting the brick street section short, I'd just go ahead and add the other 7 inches.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com