MORRISTOWN & ERIE RAILROAD - WESTERN DIVISION

Started by Erieman, December 28, 2013, 10:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

Quote from: Cuse on January 18, 2014, 08:15:38 AM
Great little structure. Good example of how a small structure with interesting lines can get you a lot of impact in a small area. The siting of the tower can compound that even more. If I recall, you had a comparable tower that you built onto a steep hillside going down from the track level. Great effect!

John

Good Morning John,
Thanks for stopping by and your comments about the progress of the tower. You are right about the other tower on the hillside. Actually I now have three wooden towers on the layout. The first tower is the one on the hillside overlooking West Orange. Tower #2 is the tower in Ironia.

The tower that I am working on will be for Little Falls. Its placement will be next to the water tank and station. The location provides a total viewing of the town, which is bordered by two tunnels quite a distance away. I finished the roofing and added the window shades that extend out over the windows.  I still have the rear porch and steps to finish. The tower sight is being modified. Below the tower is a switch machine. The actual mounting was somewhat awkward, so i have removed the scenery and remounted the switch machine to better access it, should I have to. The tower will sit on a stone base.

More later.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Well, finally finished Little Falls Tower.   OOPS, Just as I am writing this, I notice that the tower sign is not yet complete. Well, anyway, here are a couple of pictures with almost finished Little Falls tower. Enjoy.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Now it is done. Here are a couple of pictures. enjoy.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

I have been working on the design / build of two fo the ten towns on my railroad. Chester and Little Falls are next to each other with an elevation difference. I thought that I would post a couple of photos of these two towns. Little falls has scratch, SRMW and FSM buildings. It is a very small town with 17 structures in it. Chester is much larger and I still have about 4 structures to build. Enjoy the pics.

Frank / Erieman

Jerry

Frank

Just catching up on this thread.  Very nice work.
Your staining and building are right on.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

John B

Frank,
Just catching up with your layout thread.  Funny thing, while I was working in SoCal (1990s), a headhunter for a manufacturing firm in Yakima called me up and invited me and Joan up to see the town and company that was offering me a job.  We pulled into town and since it was early, we bought a newspaper to get a feel of the town, the headline was about Yakima being the first town in the USA to offer free needle exchange for addicts.  Big Red Light!  Drove around town (very isolated town) to check housing availability, small houses with the ideal house clumped up into a few blocks with none for sale.  I took the interview, job was offered, and after long thought, turned it down.  Yakima was a one-horse town with no other companies around.  I did buy an HO Yakima Apples car though, it's still around here somewhere.  Don't hear much about Yakima, either before the interview or after

Erieman

Quote from: Jerry on January 26, 2014, 11:18:18 AM
Frank

Just catching up on this thread.  Very nice work.
Your staining and building are right on.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for stopping by and i appreciate your comments. I have really been on a building binge this past year. that being said, i need to get back to scenery, electronics, etc..

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: John B on January 26, 2014, 02:42:46 PM
Frank,
Just catching up with your layout thread.  Funny thing, while I was working in SoCal (1990s), a headhunter for a manufacturing firm in Yakima called me up and invited me and Joan up to see the town and company that was offering me a job.  We pulled into town and since it was early, we bought a newspaper to get a feel of the town, the headline was about Yakima being the first town in the USA to offer free needle exchange for addicts.  Big Red Light!  Drove around town (very isolated town) to check housing availability, small houses with the ideal house clumped up into a few blocks with none for sale.  I took the interview, job was offered, and after long thought, turned it down.  Yakima was a one-horse town with no other companies around.  I did buy an HO Yakima Apples car though, it's still around here somewhere.  Don't hear much about Yakima, either before the interview or after

John,

Thanks for stopping by. I have never been to Yakima Washington. I saw these models in a hobby shop in Florida several years ago and really liked the structures. i finally got around to building them from scratch. They look great on the layout and that is the important thing. Never did find a Yakima apples car, but that might be nice to have. I need to looking and see what I can find.
Here are a couple more buildings on the layout.

Frank / Erieman

S&S RR

Frank

I'm glad a found your build thread - looks like you decided to find a new home for your thread. I was looking in the other place.  Your latest additions look great. I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Erieman

Good Morning John,

Thank you for stopping by. Glad you found my new thread. Well, lots of old stuff as well. Still a long way to go on this build. Arizona will be hosting the regional meet here in Scottsdale next year and i am trying to complete as much as possible. well, complete more that I already have done would be a better phrase. There are still many, many structures to complete. the town of Chester needs a few more structures, roads and lots of trees. Little Falls needs scenery and Ironia needs more scenery and the mine has to be built. Essex Fells needs some additional trackwork, buildings and scenery. Phew, I 'm getting tired just thinking about it. now to make matters more interesting, I am working on my MMR. the structures category is complete and I am now working on cars.

Our division is holding a popular build contest for the spring meet. Using the City Classics Railroad Street Company House as th base for a build. I have three structures under way. I'll post a picture or two later.

Thanks again for visiting. Need to get back to work on the layout.

Frank / Erieman     

Erieman

Continuing  along, After browsing my library for structures. i have come across three structures that i like and are in process of the build. The first building is a gas station. this building is a gas station with a cabin. Building two is a Veteran Rabbitt Breeder. and building three is another gas station. Building one is almost complete and the other two buildings are under construction. I have posted a picture of the building and a picture of the model. I'll update these over the next two weeks.

The "O" scale Pennsylvania caboose model is almost complete. i have also been replacing switch machines and outdated control panels. There is always something to do on the railroad.

Frank / Erieman

ak-milw

Erieman

Quote from: ak-milw on February 03, 2014, 07:05:12 PM
The bottom gas station is a real looker.
8)

Andy,

Thanks for stopping by. The bottom gas station should be very familiar. There are several kits out of it. Railroad Kits has a cast plaster model. It was featured in Mainline modelers several years ago. i am cutting up the City Classics company house to make the three different ideas. Actually, I like the middle one, or I hope that I will like it when it is complete. The signage will make this model -
'C.F. Gelderman" Veteran Rabbit Breeding, Prize and fur rabbit, bought and sold. This should be interesting and different.

Here are a couple pictures of the layout that i took today.

Frank / Erieman 

ak-milw

Another nice batch of pictures Frank, keep them coming

8)

Bntrainmaster

Frank,
Looking good. I really like the picture of the gas station and the General Store. Great pics and keep em' com'n. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work...............
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)