FOS Bud's Bait "N Gas Dock Challenge #2

Started by ACL1504, September 12, 2016, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twopoint2

Tom this kit will look real nice in the river basin, ill be watching.

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on October 26, 2016, 07:55:47 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on October 26, 2016, 05:53:50 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on October 26, 2016, 08:31:17 AM
Tom

I will be following along when you find the kit. Did your take it somewhere to take the pictures? I think my layout would be done if I could get back all the time I spend looking for stuff.

John,

It didn't turn up as yet. :'( However, I did find the instructions. They were in the bedroom.

I'll be looking again this evening in the train room. In the mean time, I've been doing more scenery.

Thanks for following along.

Tom ;D

Your making progress at least you found the instructions.  I would have found them in the bath room.  I like to make maximum use of my modeling time.

John,

All I can to that is ILMAO. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Twopoint2 on October 26, 2016, 08:00:23 PM
Tom this kit will look real nice in the river basin, ill be watching.

Jim,

Thanks for checking in. It will be a fun build.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Hey all,

Great news, I found the kit. It was in another kit.

I gave up trying to find Bud's and decided to do more work on Delwin's Boat and Net Storage. I removed the instruction booklet from the box and there was Bud's kit.

I've been working on it since last night and today.

I'll have some pictures later this evening.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The four walls came in a carrier sheet.

While the walls were still in the carrier sheets I added nail holes using the small ponce wheel from Micro Mark.

I used a #17 Xacto blade to cut the tabs holding them in place.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once the walls were removed, I sanded the edges square. When walls are cut using a laser the laser cuts/burns at a slight angle. I've found that if I don't sand the edges the corner trim doesn't fit as well.

In the photo below you can see one wall is sanded and the other one isn't. I try to lightly sand the edges to remove any of the brown cut/burns from the laser.

I used the supplied 1/16" square strip wood to brace the backs of the walls. When dry I painted the walls with a very thin wash of Floquil Reefer White.

I got so excited about finding the kit I forgot to show the bracing and painting steps. My bad.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I painted the corner trim with Polly Scale Pacemaker Red.

I then pulled the trim through a paper towel to remove some paint and give it a lighter color.

I painted the doors and windows with the same PS Pacemaker Red.

When dry, I used Canopy Glue to add the window glass.

Well, its Diet Pepsi time.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The corner trim was added and the two buildings were assembled.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The dock is made up of two layers, the float layer and the decking layer.

Here is the decking layer. I plan lighting Bud's so you can see where I cut part of the float layer to allow for LED wires.

The decking layer is glued to the float layer. Be sure you center the float layer on the decking layer. You can see the decking layer(white) on the bottom of the float layer above.

Here is the decking layer.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

I'm glad you found it - your off to a great start. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

The two small structures fit on the floating dock as shown below.

The two doors face each other and are located to the inside.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on October 27, 2016, 07:44:43 PM
Tom

John,

Thank you, much appreciated. Yes, I'm glad I found it as well. Good thing I decided to work on Delwin's. 8) 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The instructions call for scale 2X10  strip wood to be used for the decking planks. One problem, there are no scale 2X10 strip wood pieces. I did find scale 3X12 strip wood in the kit. I'll used them as it is for the deck planking.

I wanted to have some grain so I pulled each piece of 3X12 under an Xacto saw blade. I stained each piece of 3X12 with one coat of Hunterline A&I Cordovan Brown. One coat only.

As Capt. Ramius said, "Give me one ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jimmillho

Now I know what you were doing this afternoon while I was Bowling.

Glad you found the kit.

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 27, 2016, 07:48:22 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on October 27, 2016, 07:44:43 PM
Tom

John,

Thank you, much appreciated. Yes, I'm glad I found it as well. Good thing I decided to work on Delwin's. 8) 8)

Tom ;D

Tom

You have the same problem I do - to many project going at the same time. I just can't have only one project at a time.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad