Mclachlan Hat factory

Started by fsmcollector67, December 08, 2016, 10:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Neat looking structure......I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

fsmcollector67

Hey All....well so far the expanded version seems to be winning out....It would be easier, and harder to do. I would not have to deal with the foundation, but then I will be seeing windows in my sleep, and either Grandt or Tichy might be able to retire on what it will cost for all of the windows...I should be ordering wood and windows soon. Right now trying to get the perspective measurements for it....Thanks for all the return opinions...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

fsmcollector67

Hello All...I have come to a crossroads on the hat factory build. As I am trying to scale the building, it would appear from the older photo, that the clapboards are 4". this would be pretty easy to determine in relation to the door height. This would then lead to the windows only being roughly 48" high, and the building only being about 25 feet high to the roof edge. when scaled out, this does not make a very imposing structure. If I do the windows at 30"x66" the same 25' dimension now goes to 37.5' and the structure looks large. The doors I would have to stretch to 86"......
I need all of your opinions on what to do....either scale it like it is, and get a smaller squat building, or stretch things some.... Any help on this matter would be great...Thanks..
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

deemery

Why do you think the clapboard 'reveal' is only 4"?  What if the clapboards were 5"?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ak-milw

Clap board siding usually comes in 4" and 6" widths. I have built a lot of structures for my layout using the real building as my blueprint, either a picture or the building itself. I have always found that you should build it as close to what it is to make the building look right.

fsmcollector67

Dave,
When counting the clapboards up on the side of the door, it is pretty much in line as to what a normal door would measure, even the handle location.
9 Fingers Loren.....

deemery

Quote from: fsmcollector67 on December 11, 2016, 05:16:01 PM
Dave,
When counting the clapboards up on the side of the door, it is pretty much in line as to what a normal door would measure, even the handle location.
ok, that helps!  I'm a bit surprised the windows are small, usually earlier buildings want to maximize natural light.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

fsmcollector67

Hey All...so been busy sketching, and doing layout on the computer, even found a 1934 aerial survey photo to help with what the opposite side looked like...The long side of the building is a BEAST.....
Till next time ..
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

hello all....Here are the final CAD drawings, for the "BEAST". The jpegs are not all to the same scale. I am going to print pdf files that are true to scale, and either transfer the image to the wood, or use a sticky back paper, so cutting will be very simple. I also bought a real cheap multi-tool yesterday, which with a 3/8 blade seems to work well on cutting against the grain on wood for the windows. I then just slice with the grain top an bottom, and file a little. I can do a window in about 1 minute. I will need the time with all of these windows. That's it for now, just waiting on wood, and windows....Mr. Tichy got an order yesterday for 20 packs of 12 windows....Whew.......that's 204 not counting the shed.....I also have the 57' smokestack from Bar Mills on the way...
Till next time....thanks for taking a look...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

jimmillho

I noticed that there are some blank spaces on one end.........it needs more windows ? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jim

donatode

Loren have you ever considered changing the name of your build?

fsmcollector67

Donato,
What did you have in mind?
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Jim,
I even eliminated a few windows as it is.........
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

Rail and Tie

Quote from: fsmcollector67 on December 17, 2016, 12:04:46 PM
Donato,
What did you have in mind?

"Where is Bagel Street? The Susquehanna Hat Company is on Bagel Street. OMG is that a Susquehanna Hat? My brother was killed by a Susquehanna Hat while walking down Bagel Street when a safe fell on him! Hey Abbott!!!"
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

fsmcollector67

okay now I get it......Abbott and Costello was a little before my time......
9 Fingers Loren.....