Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This afternoon, I did a test fit of the overhead crane that will service the inspection pits on the Locomotive works. IT FITS! The crane clears the roof beams with about 3 scale inches to spare, and the control shed clears the top of my tallest locomotive. There was a lot of measuring and remeasuring involved with this one. 

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next, fitting and layout issue was the wall that will separate the inspection pits from the machine shop. The wall is required to keep the operations separate and makes a nice break point for the two types of flooring that I'm using for the facility.  I started with a full wall all the way to the top of the bottom of the roof beams to see how much a view block it would be. I then started cutting until I had something that was functional and didn't block the view of the machine shop details.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

As you can see from this sequence of pictures, I kept taking more and more of the wall away until I ended up with this.  It is 12 feet high with cuts for windows for two bays, a 12 foot door in the front and a 20 foot opening in the back for material to move back and forth between the machine shop,  and the locomotives. I also lowered the wall to 5 feet for the bay closest to the back to help with visibility into the machine shop.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Once the roof goes on - I will need lots of LED lighting to show off the interior.  I will have traditional shop lights and I also plan to have lighting in the roof sheds.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next step for this build is to finish the flooring. The crane is not level in the photographs because I need to add the brick flooring on the right side of the inspection pits.

My checklist:

- brick flooring

- dividing wall

- wood flooring in machine shop

- add the window castings

- start adding detail casting in the machine shop and locomotive inspection bay.

- finish the roof and add the trim

- add the roof beams

- add the belt and pulley system

- finish the weathering in the interior

- finish the weathering on the exterior

- add all the outside loading docks

- add the boiler house

- add all the details to the exterior.

John Siekirk

Jerry

John just getting caught up once again.  really like what your doing with the Engine house especially the flooring.

I'll try to keep up with this and not wait so long to post on this outstanding thread.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on January 24, 2018, 10:46:16 AM
John just getting caught up once again.  really like what your doing with the Engine house especially the flooring.

I'll try to keep up with this and not wait so long to post on this outstanding thread.

Jerry

Jerry

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words.  I'm working hard on the Locomotive Works and should have some update pictures this evening.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I had a phone conversation with Frank Baker, yesterday.  I was asking for things I might do to improve the Locomotive Works build. Frank suggested trying a contrast stone color - John try it on the back side was his words. It needs to be something that can be duplicated on the Stone Roundhouse so I did some playing.  I first tried lighter colors and didn't like the way it looked.  Here is close-up of the walls before I started playing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture with the larger stones colored with a different brown color.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is what it looks like if I soften the affect by adding the lighter mortar color over the darker colored large stones.

John Siekirk