Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the view as you inter the layout room. The Locomotive Works fits in the opening that is currently home to a tray filled with my challenge build. You can also see some of the trays that contain the detail castings for this build. I'm working on some track changes to accommodate the Fox Run Build in the background so there is lots of clutter on the layout.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I was working on the brick floor today so I took a couple of progress pictures and placed one of the S2 4-8-4's in the work bay so you could get a better picture of what I'm talking about.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

As you can see, this is a big structure and will consume 100's of detail castings when the scene is complete. With lot's of LED lighting, I hope that every one of them will be visible and a natural part of the scene when this is complete. The idea is to have depth to the scene inside the build and outside the build as you look at a row of structures that stretches all the way to the mountains in the distance. Anyway, I hope this explains the "strange" opening in the back of the building.
John Siekirk

tct855

John,

You are doin' some beautiful work.  Really enjoy the weathered brick floor. Wow!  You go girl.   Thanx Thom...

S&S RR

Quote from: tct855 on January 27, 2018, 12:10:39 AM
John,

You are doin' some beautiful work.  Really enjoy the weathered brick floor. Wow!  You go girl.   Thanx Thom...

Tom

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. I need to figure out how to make the new addition brick look slightly used.
John Siekirk

deemery

OK, thanks for the back-story.  I'm looking forward to seeing how you stage this to tell the story!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

John,
I was wondering how we were going to enjoy the detailed interior.  Sounds like you have a plan for not only that but some great photos, too. 
Jerry

S&S RR

Dave and Jerry

Thanks for the followup posts. Here is what the roof looks like with the trim. The trim pieces actually glove the side of the stone walls so it fits great and will not move. I think that it will stay down without adding the magnetic strips I talked about in a previous post, but we will see. The windows are all in the roof sheds.  Except for the two that I made today to replace the ones that fell on the floor and I rolled over them with the chair wheel when I pushed away to look for them. I'm sure glad I had replacements on hand. I found them sitting on the workbench after the blue air cleared.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next step is to glue the roof sheds in place and add any bracing to the roof card that I think is need after I see how rigid it is with the sheds glued down.  Then it's time for some roofing.  The big roof will be rolled roofing that matches what I used on the Stone Roundhouse.  The roof sheds will have metal roofing (which in this case will be the paper roofing that looks like metal roofing). We are getting close to adding all those details.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I got back on the Locomotive Works build today.  I spent about half the day working on it and then switched to my Yard Tower Challenge build.  I will post the progress pictures of the Yard Tower on the Challenge Kit build thread.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I accomplished three tasks today on the Locomotive Works.  First, I put the windows in the Stone Walls.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Next, came gluing the roof sheds to the roof card. They sure stiffened the Roof card and made it rigid.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk