Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on March 30, 2018, 11:52:08 PM
Looking good John, how do you like the rusty stumps jigs? I like them, they keep the spacing right on the line.

Thank you for the kind words.  The Rusty Stumps Jigs work great.  I had cut some similar jigs with my table saw many years ago that I got rid of when I found these. I use them in place of the template cards for most of my builds. I'm planning to make a little fixture to hold them and use them up side down for my next build.  Stay tuned to the thread and I will show you what I mean. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Cuse on March 31, 2018, 05:38:54 AM
Great job John. That's really fine work!

John

Thank you for the kind words and following along.  I need to complete about 30 feet more track on the HOn3 line on my layout and I will be able run some very special locomotives.  It's on the to-do list for this summer - as soon as I complete the three builds on my workbench and wire the turnout controls for the Eagles Nest Yard.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on March 31, 2018, 08:21:16 AM
The roofs look great.  I prefer the paper product as there are no "shiny spots" like on the Campbell roofing if you manage not to cover it all or as you said, you touch it.  The interior looks wonderful as well. 

Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for following along and the kind words. The paper product for the metal roofs is definitely my material of choice - the only problem is it is expensive and I have a ton of the Campbell material.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

The shop interior is stunning!  The belt driven machinery is just beautiful.  What a shame to hide that wonderful detailed interior under the roof (even though it is removable)!
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on April 01, 2018, 09:09:15 AM
John,

The shop interior is stunning!  The belt driven machinery is just beautiful.  What a shame to hide that wonderful detailed interior under the roof (even though it is removable)!

Jerry

Thanks for following the thread and the kind words.  The interior detail will be visible through the back wall of the structure which is being modeled as "under construction". The roof is also removable - for special occasions.  My next step is to install all the LED shop lights. Then the loading docks and scaffolds for the stone masons that will be working on the back of the building. I'm also working on a boiler that powers the belt drive system that will be installed behind the main structure. The side yard will have some locomotives being scraped out for parts.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

This morning I realized that volume 2 of this build thread is already at 100 pages. I updated the index to volume 1 and will update the index to volume 2 to get everything up--to-date in the next few days. About 70 more pages and it will be time to start Volume 3. I better get to work. ;)
John Siekirk

Lynnb

Quote from: S&S RR on March 31, 2018, 05:10:43 PM
Looking good John, how do you like the rusty stumps jigs? I like them, they keep the spacing right on the line.

Thank you for the kind words.  The Rusty Stumps Jigs work great.  I had cut some similar jigs with my table saw many years ago that I got rid of when I found these. I use them in place of the template cards for most of my builds. I'm planning to make a little fixture to hold them and use them up side down for my next build.  Stay tuned to the thread and I will show you what I mean.
I think I know what you mean for a jig, they would work so much better if they could be held so the slots face up and just have to drop joyces in.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on April 01, 2018, 12:01:18 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on March 31, 2018, 05:10:43 PM

I think I know what you mean for a jig, they would work so much better if they could be held so the slots face up and just have to drop joyces in.

Yes - that's what I have in mind. A wood block with slits that will allow the Rusty Stumps jigs to stand upright so the joists just drop in - then add the top surface.  The lower joist supports can then be added once the jigs are removed. This is how the templates I made with my table saw worked.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Ready to add the deck to loading dock number one for the Locomotive Works.

John Siekirk

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on April 03, 2018, 01:10:58 PM
John your detail work inside is perfect.

Jerry

Jerry

Thanks for following along and the kind words. I have been trying to figure out when to quit - how many details are enough?  One of the things I wanted to do is to have this be a working shop. I have seen many machine shops modeled over the years, and to often, they look beautiful but it's the seen only the midnight watchman sees.  Nothing going on.  I added work in the mill, lathe, and wheel grinder - machinists, and chips on the floor to try to achieve the working shop look.  The HO size chips are from a #80 drill. HO scale firewood is beside the stoves, yes I really cut it and chopped it.  There is a tree by my deer hunting blind that is missing a branch that was just the right size. I have a few more things to add - but it's time to get the outside detail done. As soon as I get the LED lights installed. Once I get outside area done I will take some photographs with the SLR camera and study them for changes and/or more details.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is really cool and very well done.

Karl

MAP

Just catching up with your progress John.  Holy Cow!  Everything looks fantastic!  I really like that you've included "people" working in the machine shop.  Really adds another level of detail.  Love it!
Mark

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on April 03, 2018, 05:22:00 PM
Hey John:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that is really cool and very well done.

Karl

Karl

Thanks for the complement it is much appreciated. Stay tuned for the final pictures - this build has a ways to go yet.
John Siekirk