Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbvb

I've only been to the NGNC in Augusta, ME, but there certainly was a lot of good modeling on display.  Sacramento next year will be a long, long way.  2020 in St. Louis is less than I drove to get to K.C. last month, but I need to see how they g the NGNC and NMRA conventions fit together for travel.  Gateway 2020's site ( http://www.gateway2020.org/  ) says the NMRA will be July 12-18, hot but before my grain harvest.  I don't find a web presence for the 2020 NNGC, which is a bit worrisome in this day and age.
James

S&S RR

James

Thanks for stopping by the thread.  I grew up on my Grandparents farm so I know what it's like in the summer on the farm.  Don't worry about the websites for the Narrow Gauge conventions - one of the rules is that they can't start advertising until the previous years convention is over. So the Sacramento group will be firing up their website in the next couple of weeks.  St. Louis will not add any details other than the dates to their website until this time next year. The Narrow Gauge Convention is historically the first week of September. The organizers for both convention put on a presentation at this years NG Convention and they both look like they will have very nice programs.  Sacramento said they have 50 layouts under consideration for their layout tours. ;) :D  FYI - the NG convention will be in Hickory, NC in 2021, in Seattle, Washington in 2022, and in Denver, CO in 2023.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Link to  Narrow Gauge Convention 2019.

http://www.nngc2019.org

Jaime keeps us all informed about the Narrow Gauge Conventions on his website.

http://www.narrowperspective.com

John Siekirk

S&S RR

My Grandson (2 years old) was here this weekend running trains - the layout has a different look from his viewing angle. It is simply amazing how fast he learned to run them.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

vinceg

Wow - that's a beautiful layout and layout room - I don't think I've ever seen anything that complete - layout, backdrop, fascia, below-fascia, hardwood floor, lighting, valance. Man. I hope I can get over there to see it sometime.

What do all the light switches control?
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

Quote from: vinceg on September 18, 2018, 01:04:19 PM
Wow - that's a beautiful layout and layout room - I don't think I've ever seen anything that complete - layout, backdrop, fascia, below-fascia, hardwood floor, lighting, valance. Man. I hope I can get over there to see it sometime.

What do all the light switches control?

Vince

Thank you for the kind words.  I hope you can get over here for a visit sometime. You are always welcome. The switches control blocks of track. I wired the track work with 8 DCC power districts and 112 (and growing) blocks (basically a section of track). If I have a sort somewhere on the layout I can turn off sections of track until I find the section that has the short.  It has come in handy many times. Track cutters laying across the track in a tunnel more than once. The switches also come in handy to turn off a section of track if I don't want to hear all of the locomotives on the layout all at the same time. It is especially useful in the roundhouse and in the yards.  All I needed to do was show my Grandson what they were for and he leaves them alone. He knows where the main power switch is and how to "wake up the trains".
John Siekirk

CVSNE

Great photo of a seasoned engineer at the throttle...!!

And you win the "most switches in one place" award....
;D
Marty
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

S&S RR

Quote from: CVSNE on September 19, 2018, 11:27:06 AM
Great photo of a seasoned engineer at the throttle...!!

And you win the "most switches in one place" award....
;D
Marty

Marty

Thanks for stopping by the thread.
He is well on his way - I hope he keeps his interest in trains.  As for the switches, I'm very glad I took the couple days to add them when I was wiring the layout. They have saved countless hours of aggravation.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I prepared the castings that I picked up at the Narrow Gauge convention for the paint booth while I was waiting for paint to dry on my Threadwell's build.

John Siekirk

Jerry

John beautiful layout and pictures.

Your Grandson looks right at home running those trains!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ACL1504

John,

Wow, most excellent layout and room. Well done my friend, very well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on September 20, 2018, 11:18:07 AM
John beautiful layout and pictures.

Your Grandson looks right at home running those trains!!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words. Yes - he loves them. I thought 10 minutes tops for a two year old - he was at it for two hours until I told him Grandma bought ice cream for desert and it was time for lunch.  He told me it was time for the train's nap. ;)  He was right back at it after his nap.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 20, 2018, 04:27:05 PM
John,

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for the encouraging words - there are a lot of structure builds between here and where I want it to be. It will keep me busy for many years to come.
John Siekirk

jimmillho

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 20, 2018, 04:27:05 PM
John,

Tom ;D

John,
I could not have said it any better

Someday I would love to get back up to Mi and see it in person.

Jim