Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I also started adding the joint lines to the concrete wall sections. The joint lines are put in with a scribe. I will also be adding some cracks, chips, and distress.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Just caught up on your thread John.....great start on what looks to be a fun structure.....I'll be watching.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 22, 2017, 02:42:45 PM
Just caught up on your thread John.....great start on what looks to be a fun structure.....I'll be watching.  8)

Greg

Thanks for stopping by the thread, I really enjoying both of these builds.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I didn't get much bench time today but I did get the wall bracing completed.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also painted the inside of the walls with the Khaki primer.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,
Building two of George's kits at once, and doing an awesome job with both.  Wow!

FWIW, I love those rattle can camo colors.
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on May 23, 2017, 08:00:03 AM
John,
Building two of George's kits at once, and doing an awesome job with both.  Wow!

FWIW, I love those rattle can camo colors.

Jerry

Thanks for stopping by the thread and for the kind words.  The camo paint in the rattle can has become my new Floquil Earth. And no airbrush to clean ;D ;D ;D .  I haven't found driftwood in a can yet but you can get there with the Khaki and some pigments.  That is what I'm doing on the Mackenzie build. I really like the look of the pigments and chalks on top of the primer color - I think it's the texture as much as the color.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

After the issue I had yesterday with the black I will follow your lead and spray the rattle can "sand" on the inside instead of black. Thanks for the idea.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on May 23, 2017, 10:36:53 AM
After the issue I had yesterday with the black I will follow your lead and spray the rattle can "sand" on the inside instead of black. Thanks for the idea.

I hope it works for you.  Let us know.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I only got a few minutes of bench time in today.  I started gluing the walls together for Mackenzie. I'm using my new process of doing the assembly and then painting and weathering the walls.  Rather than doing the painting and weathering of the walls flat and then assembling. I have done this on my last couple of builds and like it better. I don't have to do all the touchup work from that assembly process. When I get all the walls together I will take it to the paint booth and spray the khaki primer coat.

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,
Interesting approach.  I always used to assemble the structure before painting the walls, but several years ago I switched to doing the walls flat on my work area.  That has worked well fo me, but as you say, some touchup is necessary after assembly.  I'll be watching closely to see if maybe I should return to the way I used to build.
Jerry

postalkarl

Hi John:

I have the Khaki & the Sand camouflage paint. I use the sand as I think it looks more like Floquil Earth for wood casting. If you have the sand give it a try and let me know what you think.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on May 24, 2017, 07:47:29 AM
John,
Interesting approach.  I always used to assemble the structure before painting the walls, but several years ago I switched to doing the walls flat on my work area.  That has worked well fo me, but as you say, some touchup is necessary after assembly.  I'll be watching closely to see if maybe I should return to the way I used to build.

I find when I use the pigments and chalks it's easier for me to have the wall built.  If I was adding a big sign to the wall I would do that flat on the workbench.  I think there is no right or wrong on this one just what you like better.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on May 24, 2017, 07:49:53 AM
Hi John:

I have the Khaki & the Sand camouflage paint. I use the sand as I think it looks more like Floquil Earth for wood casting. If you have the sand give it a try and let me know what you think.

Karl

Hi Karl

Thanks for stopping by the thread. I have the sand color too.  I use that when I want newer looking wood.  The Khaki as the primer seems to give me a older weathered wood look.  With chalks, most of the color is coming from the chalk the primer is the shadow or under layer. At least that's the way my eyes see it.  Next time I'm doing color testing I will do a side by side sample to show the different affects.
John Siekirk