Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I will shoot a couple progress photographs this afternoon, or tomorrow morning,  so I can post a few pictures. I'm in the middle of adding more lighting to the room and I had to move all the structures off the layout again to safely make that happen before I permanently plant them on the layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here are a few progress pictures from this week.  First here is the boiler for the Locomotive Works on the work bench.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

And here is the boiler installed behind the Locomotive Works - all the detailing will be done with the structure on the layout. Final painting and weathering and adding all those detail castings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Lynnb

Pretty darn neat, it'll be interesting to see how you weather it.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

RWL

John,

Nice job on the boiler, it looks like there will be a flickering fire in its depths if the wires are any indication. I agree with Lynnb, it will be interesting to see your approach to weathering it. One observation and hence a comment, I believe your whistle is upside down, it looks to me the sound chambers are on the bottom and the pivot point for the pull lever is reversed. But, I could be wrong. None the less it is a great addition to the engine house.

Bob

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on April 14, 2018, 11:42:18 PM
Pretty darn neat, it'll be interesting to see how you weather it.

Lynn

Thanks for stopping by the thread - I have to complete a wiring project and then I'm going to get started on weathering and detailing this build and the Mackenzie build which I have also moved to the layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: RWL on April 15, 2018, 06:47:34 AM
John,

Nice job on the boiler, it looks like there will be a flickering fire in its depths if the wires are any indication. I agree with Lynnb, it will be interesting to see your approach to weathering it. One observation and hence a comment, I believe your whistle is upside down, it looks to me the sound chambers are on the bottom and the pivot point for the pull lever is reversed. But, I could be wrong. None the less it is a great addition to the engine house.

Bob

Bob

Thanks for stopping by the thread. Yes - I mounted a red LED in the boiler before I glued it in place. I have a access hole from underneath. 

You are correct about the whistle - thank you for pointing it out. I don't have any idea how that happened. :-[  I added it to my fix list.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I fixed the steam whistle first thing this morning. It's clamped in place until the glue dries.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

For the last couple of days I've been adding more lighting above the layout. I wanted to get this job out of the way before I permanently mount the structures in this area. I'm adding 18 more LED flood lights.

John Siekirk

deemery

I wonder if the whistle for a mill/engine would be mounted -outside- the boiler building.  I can think of 2 reasons for this:
1.  Easier for the everyone to hear it
2.  A LOT easier on the ears of the boiler engineers :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 15, 2018, 05:37:48 PM
I wonder if the whistle for a mill/engine would be mounted -outside- the boiler building.  I can think of 2 reasons for this:
1.  Easier for the everyone to hear it
2.  A LOT easier on the ears of the boiler engineers :-)

dave

Dave

On the S&S RR the steam whistle is used to signal other facilities  on the sprawling Eagles Nest complex.  Especially important, lunch and end of the shift.
John Siekirk

deemery

Quote from: S&S RR on April 16, 2018, 10:16:55 AM
Dave

On the S&S RR the steam whistle is used to signal other facilities  on the sprawling Eagles Nest complex.  Especially important, lunch and end of the shift.

That's what I figured it was for, and why I thought it should be mounted outside of the building so everyone can hear.  It's my recollection that steam sawmills had whistles for the same reason (plus to alarm everyone in case of fire, a common occurrence in sawmills!)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to