Stone Buildings

Started by Random, April 21, 2017, 04:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random

This took a while but all of the wall sections are now glued to chipboard backers.  I'll need to reinforce those with some strip wood and fill the seams a bit better.  The core structure is coming together now.

The extra bit of card above the walls will be the attachment point for the wall cornice. 

Cheers
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

One more update for the evening.  After the glue set from the last step I went back and added stripwood on the back of the card to reinforce the walls.  Then I decided to try tackling the gaps between castings.  I mixed up a somewhat thin batch of hydrocal (the same used for the castings) and used a small pipette to work it into the gaps.  I sprayed the walls lightly with water before hand to keep the filler plaster from instantly drying.  I worked slowly opting to go back and add more fill rather than too much.  But anywhere the fill got a little heavy was evened out with a stiff brush.  I worked the brush horizontally and vertically to reassert the joints between the stones. Here is a section before and after filling:

In a few spots the stones got a little smooth but I should be able to recover the texture with a stiff brush once its dry.  The process takes a while but the result is pleasing to the eye.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Janbouli

Great looking walls Roger , it's a monk's work but well worth it looking at the result.
I love photo's, don't we all.

deemery

I was wondering how you'd handle the gaps between cast sections.  Looks great!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

This is too cool.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

donatode

I'm flabbergasted ....!!!

Random

Thank you all. 

I finished filling the joints today.  I killed my pipette (balls of plaster formed inside) and I can taste plaster.  This is so much fun.   I enjoy this kind of detail work.  If only I could make a living doing it.

Anyway.....here's where we stand.

Cheers!

Roger Hines

Random

I put my monk robe back on  ;) and did some more sanding and fitting.   The result was a quick test fit.  Its looking good. 

Sleep now.  Cheers!
Roger Hines

S&S RR

Great work! Love the detail and the craftsmanship. This structure will be a work of art.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

sdrees

this project is really coming along very nicely.  It is always interesting to see different types of modeling.  keep it up!
Steve Drees
SP RR

engine909

Roger that, Incredible work. You are an artist. And a patient dude.
ed

madharry

Random

I had house guests over the weekend so wasn't able to work but last night and tonight allowed some progress.  I found a better solution than the pipette for applying plaster to the gaps.  These bottles came in a three pack and were in the tie dying supplies at Hobby Lobby.  The nozzle comes closed off so that you can cut it to the desired size.  Clean up was easy.

I used the bottle to fill gaps in the platform extensions added to the end walls.  The tracks will run in the center channel and the platforms will align with the insets.

With this the walls are finished.   Next up will be assembling the station core and then filling gaps at the corners.  I suspect that will take a while.

Cheers!

Roger Hines

Janbouli

WOW, Roger whata great job , and only someone that knows where the seems are can see them.
I love photo's, don't we all.

jerryrbeach

Jerry