The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 2

Started by ACL1504, May 11, 2017, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

The track was soldered at the rail joiners. I removed the tie plates and spikes off the top of the ties and slid them under the rail. I then used a track cleaner and removed the black marker.

Nice and neat smooth track work.

I'll have more updates tomorrow.

I'm still about 80 photos behind in the thread. It just takes time.

BTW, I mentioned this on my old thread but here is why I use Atlas "N" Scale code 80 rail joiners.

They fit the HO scale 83 track better than the Micro Engineering code 83 rail joiners. The HO Atlas code 83 rail joiners are just to big and out of scale.

The Atlas "N" Scale code 80 rail joiners are small, fit snug on the HO code 83 rail and most importantly have a low profile. You can see the low profile of these rail joiners in the above photo.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

Tom,
Neat trick about that rail joiner !
Nice job on the coal tower and sand bin too.
Two questions....on page 179 of this thread...what is that black electronic device wired in series with the LED 'S....does it have a part # and rating info printed on it ?
What brand and color red color paint did you use to spray paint the 2 Atlas bridges ?
Your layout is looking more impressive everyday.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on August 11, 2018, 02:12:36 PM
Tom,
Neat trick about that rail joiner !
Nice job on the coal tower and sand bin too.
Two questions....on page 179 of this thread...what is that black electronic device wired in series with the LED 'S....does it have a part # and rating info printed on it ?
What brand and color red color paint did you use to spray paint the 2 Atlas bridges ?
Your layout is looking more impressive everyday.
Tommy

Tommy,

Thank you for the compliments on the layout, rail joiners, sand bin and coaling tower. I appreciate the kind support.

The black device is a Current Limiter. I love this little thing as it removes all questions about what resistor to use. If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, it will handle anything from 9 to 90 volts. I got mine from Bill Satore (Slim) on this forum. They sell for $7.95 for 10 and worth every bit the price. He also sells a 5 pack for $4.50.

https://microlumina.com/

And, here is Slim's excellent tutorial on using the current limiter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8udo01l5jy8firn/LightBites_2_CL.pdf?dl=0

This will give you all the info you need and more.

The two Atlas bridges were spray painted with Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer. A close match would be Floquil Boxcar Red.

Again, thank you for the very generous compliments on my work and layout.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

I think that's what Mr. Frary called "Bulletproof Trackwork" in his Pennsy layout article from long ago. Very nice work! That's why your layout will run beautifully for years and, conversely, why profanity can be heard from my layout room ::)

John

ACL1504

Quote from: Cuse on August 11, 2018, 05:19:17 PM
I think that's what Mr. Frary called "Bulletproof Trackwork" in his Pennsy layout article from long ago. Very nice work! That's why your layout will run beautifully for years and, conversely, why profanity can be heard from my layout room ::)

John

John,

For me smooth track work is just as important as any other aspect of the layout, which is actually everything else. I've seen and been to some beautiful layout where the track work sucked. Nothing worse than showing trains that won't run on the track.

Of course, I didn't mention the profanity here in doing the smooth track work! :-X :-X

I appreciate your continued support and compliments.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I did change the track plan just a bit as I'll explain.

In the photo below, you can see the piece of track in the center. To the right of the track you should also see where I removed the cork. I decided to cut in a turnout and just removed the track and cork.

I used sand paper and removed the cork and glue from the top of the plywood.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

To save some time and you the need to read more minutia, I'm going to just fast forward some here.

I found a pack of #6 cork turnout pads and decided to give them a try. If nothing else, I knew I could pull it up and sand the area and start over.

To my surprise and great joy the #6 Peco turnout fit perfectly.

www.IBLProducts.com

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The new turnout was installed and the spur track was added. It's at an angle for a reason. I'll share this later in the thread but I can say this area will be the real estate for a FSM structure.

Diet Pepsi time, back in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Work on the layout continues at a blistering pace these past few weeks. However, I don't have new photos cropped and uploaded to share.

The town of Tahope has a corrupt council. It is full of relatives and crackers with their hands out waiting to be greased.

Because of corruption, the Tahope County Council has the money to build a new two story Court House and Municipal Building.

Tahope has placed a contract with Magnuson for the  new building.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

If you want to follow the Magnuson build, you can check it out here.

http://modelersforum.com/kit-building/magnuson-municipal-building/

The Tahope track laying is now complete. I'll have pictures tomorrow afternoon.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The majority of track is now finished in Tahope.  There is one spur track to be laid but it will have to wait on the structure so the track will fit properly.

The track plan is such as it is so the supporting structures fit the plan. More on that later in the thread.

Looking South-

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com