Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

The structure looks just great. Can't wait to see it installed on the layout.

Karl

SteveCuster

Thanks Karl and Vince!

Vince, it was super easy for this one. I used Apple Barrel Pavement thinned to a wash (I'm thinking maybe 6:1 maybe 8:1 I'm not sure. I kept adding water to a mostly empty bottle until it felt right to me. Of course experiment on scrap and make sure you give it time to dry. It really lightens up once it dries.). I didn't prime any of the wood parts only the plastic or laserboard with khaki. Everything got a wash followed by Linen color dry-brushing. I've been using the same thinned out Pavement color for weathering my shingles also. Just spray them with khaki and use the wash over them followed by some dry brushing.

Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

vinceg

Quote from: SteveCuster on October 27, 2021, 09:37:21 AM
Thanks Karl and Vince!

Vince, it was super easy for this one. I used Apple Barrel Pavement thinned to a wash (I'm thinking maybe 6:1 maybe 8:1 I'm not sure. I kept adding water to a mostly empty bottle until it felt right to me. Of course experiment on scrap and make sure you give it time to dry. It really lightens up once it dries.). I didn't prime any of the wood parts only the plastic or laserboard with khaki. Everything got a wash followed by Linen color dry-brushing. I've been using the same thinned out Pavement color for weathering my shingles also. Just spray them with khaki and use the wash over them followed by some dry brushing.

Thx. I'll give it a try.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Jerry

Excellent coloring on the building!

I can't wait to see this scene completed.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

fsmcollector67

9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

SteveCuster

Thanks Curt, Jerry and Loren!
Steve Custer

SteveCuster

I managed to get another structure finished for this area of the last week.

I started working on a kit from Nick and Nora designs that I intended to make into a boarding house to sit next to the tenement structure. When I start the assembly of the kit I discovered all the clapboard walls were upside down. I contacted them and they told me they would send out some replacement walls. While I'm waiting for walls to arrive I looked over my shelf of half built kits to see if there was anything I could salvage or turn into something.

I had started one of the Downtown Deco Addams Ave Part 4 kits a few months back but I was unhappy with how it was going so I parked it. I decided to revisit it and try to turn it into something since the walls and windows were all colored it really only needed the roof and some finishing touches. I ended up finishing it this week, here are the photos of how it turned out and how it fits into the overall picture.

It's not perfect but it'll do fine in the back.

Depending on what happens with the Nick and Nora kit it will either sit here or a few more inches to the left.

https://craftsmanstructures.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/img_2800.jpeg
Here's another overall shot of the flow of this area. Of course the elevations aren't there yet and everything is just placed where it will go while I try to visualize how it all will come together.

Thanks for following along.

Steve Custer

cuse

WOW, Steve...another beauty!

Nobody does dusty like you ;)

John

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

vinceg

Steve, the buildings look great. I also like the cliff-scape in the background - very dramatic.

Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

the layout is looking just beautiful as always. Keep the pics A flowing.

Karl

GPdemayo

Nice finish on the hotel Steve.....well done.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Hotel looks just great.

Karl