Holland Odessa R.R.

Started by Jim Donovan, March 31, 2018, 11:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

More wrap up photo's of 2018 from previous page.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

ACL1504

Jim,

The layout is coming  along nicely. I like the boat on the bank (third photo up), nice touch.

Love the pictures, keep'm coming.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

The canal, boat and bridge are extremely nice.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jim Donovan

Went to my first Expo. Attended eight clinics, four were the hands-on type. I Learned a lot and met really nice people. Oh, of course I bought more then I should. Much of it will show up on the Ohio layout. I think the neatest is an HO Scale paddlewheel steam towboat (they actually pushed not tow).

I decided to challenge myself by taking all the parts given at the four hands-on clinics and during my free time see what I could make. The four I went to were Tips by Doug Foscale, lights by Bill Sartore, rusting with Jason Jenson, and Build a Billboard Scene by Ron Poidomani. I used parts from all clinics but ran out of time to light the building up. I plan to do that when home, promise Bill.

I had to make the door as we were given only one wall with a window, made a door out of that wall (It can open). The side walls were clapboard. Made the foundation for them with the mat board to make light. Back wall is hydrocal. Tthe roof sheeting was enough if creative, so it is creative. The roof vent is made for a flat roof so it was the round peg in a square hole. The foundation is mat board made to look like stucco as best I could. The card stock for roof was a candy wrapper paper card. Most painting was washes made up from what I learned at clinics. There was just one 6 inch piece of 2x 6, some sidewalk material and mat board left over. It was fun putting what I learned during the day to work after hours.

Here is what came out of the parts pile.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

Looks great, especially the corrugated metal pieces.

Jeff

NEMMRRC

Way cool!!

Maybe at next Expo some enterprising mind will develop a kit from all the freebies  ;D

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Jim Donovan on April 09, 2018, 03:05:07 PM
So this completes the first build season of the layout. Hope you liked seeing the progress of a true beginner.

The biggest thing I've learned about this hobby is I love everything you can do on top of the layout and hate everything required under the layout. Frankly I was surprised powered rail was still the standard for the hobby, 40 years after I played with my father-in-law's basement operation. With wifi and powerful small batteries I would have thought power would be in the engine itself and control would be wireless through bluetooth/ wifi. I guess a lot of people in the hobby love the electrical part, me not so much.

Next up the Village of Mandryville, this fall. I will be reading others work throughout the summer. I hope what I learn shows in future modeling. Thanks to all for your great posts and sharing of information. Makes a beginners effort a lot easier.
If you want to learn more about wireless train control search for "dead rail" and you will find lots on that. The garden railroad folks and the Lionel folks have had it for years. There is an effort to bring wireless rail control to HO. I don't know much about it but I know it is there.

Perhaps you've answered this already in this thread, where did you get your backdrops on your layout? They are very effective.

Thanks for sharing your railroad with us.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Jim Donovan on October 10, 2018, 08:21:30 PM
Somewhere along the line I forgot the reason why I started this layout thread. It's suppose to be about a beginners effort at modeling, not how I did something. I'll stick to the beginner feedback hopefully from now on.

A beginner light bulb moment was when I realized making the structure is just phase one. Making it part of the layout and bringing it to life is as important and perhaps takes just as long.

That is so true!!!!

The scenery and siting the kit on a layout/diorama is like building a whole new kit that came with no instructions  ;D

I don't know about you but I learn a great deal from my own mistakes. Don't be afraid to mess up. They are only toy trains.

Jaime

ACL1504

Jim,

Well done on your diorama. glad you got to go to the Expo and it appears it was a great success for you.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Lynnb

The dioramma came out really nice, its nice to be able to apply the seminar stuff when it was fresh in your mind.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Jim Donovan

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 03, 2018, 07:58:00 PM
Excellent modeling.

Thanks Curt. It was a blast trying to figure out what to do with the parts and pieces. I brought the diorama back home to light it up as well so all clinics are included in it. However, it got knocked over on trip home so some emergency operation work needs to happen first.

I like modeling and it seems to be going in the right direction, then I went into the contest room, wow, that's all I can say. I know at least one member of the forum (I did not get much chance to talk with him) won. Dave K would know more, he knows everyone. Me I forget my own name sometimes.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on November 03, 2018, 10:52:19 PM
Looks great, especially the corrugated metal pieces.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I learned a lot on improving weathering from Jason Jenson and Doug Foscale during their clinics. The two hour clinics flew by and I was the last one leaving every one. I got carried away a little on the entrance but plan to play with it some to see if I can make it more realistic. Will be good practice for next real project.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: NEMMRRC on November 04, 2018, 11:15:57 AM
Way cool!!

Maybe at next Expo some enterprising mind will develop a kit from all the freebies  ;D

Jaime

Hi Jamie;

Funny you mention that. I took the parts and pieces kit to the awards diner to show the guys at the table. I believe it was Jack Ellis of Bar Mills that stopped at the table to say hi to everyone. He saw the kit and said they are thinking of doing just that next year. By that I mean a group of clinics that you would sign up for and you would build a full kit going though the steps at the various clinics. I think that would be neat.

As for the back drop on my layout, the current one is from Train Junkie's, William Prusso. He was great to work with and the cost was not high. Mine is actually N scale on the HO layout. Down the road I might learn photoshop and try my hand at making a scene that flows with the setting but until then this backdrop works great.

This winter I plan to look into battery powered engines. If I can make it work the Florida layout will be code 55 fast track to just hold the train on the rails, when I get around to starting it. There is a lot to the hobby so we will see. Won't be until 2020 for sure.

Thanks
Jim D

Jim Donovan

Quote from: NEMMRRC on November 04, 2018, 11:53:47 AM
Quote from: Jim Donovan on October 10, 2018, 08:21:30 PM
Somewhere along the line I forgot the reason why I started this layout thread. It's suppose to be about a beginners effort at modeling, not how I did something. I'll stick to the beginner feedback hopefully from now on.

A beginner light bulb moment was when I realized making the structure is just phase one. Making it part of the layout and bringing it to life is as important and perhaps takes just as long.

That is so true!!!!

The scenery and siting the kit on a layout/diorama is like building a whole new kit that came with no instructions  ;D

I don't know about you but I learn a great deal from my own mistakes. Don't be afraid to mess up. They are only toy trains.

Jaime

Jamie

You are only too right. I love scenery and thought I had a pretty good handle on it, then I listened to Hal Reynolds' on his 'Scenery Tweaking' and was blown away. I have two pages of scribbled notes and a bunch of pictures from his quick 45 minute clinic. Now to organize it, figure it out and try to duplicate what he showed. Amazing man.

Jim D