The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on March 22, 2021, 11:07:32 PM
Hey Tom:

Looks just great. I always enjoy the photos of your RR. Keep up the good work.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you and thanks for the kind words and for being a loyal follower of this thread. I always have plenty of photos.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 23, 2021, 09:00:43 AM
The water looks terrific Tom.....can't wait to see it up close.  8)

Greg,

Thanks, I've very happy with how it turned out. However, remember this is just the first step in the water process.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on March 23, 2021, 04:15:38 PM
Water looks good so far.  Does the stuff have an odor before drying?

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you. There is no odor what so ever, in the mixing or drying process. The key is to make sure it is thoroughly mixed per the directions. This is the third time I've used Magic Water and I've never smelled an odor and the lagoon I poured four years ago is still clear.

As I mentioned to Eric, it dries clear and stays clear.

Kathy Millet has a You Tube on Magic Water vs. Envirotex Lite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H55xG73F9s

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

ReadingBob

Great start to finishing the river.  It's looking pretty darn great so far!   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jim Donovan

Looks great Tom;

Did you cover the water after pouring or just kept the area quiet? I know we both used the Woodland Scenics product with iffy results so am interested in this for my next project 'Silver 'Springs 1910'.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jerry

Tom terrific job on that pour.

Looks great!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

nycjeff

Hello Tom, the water looks great, can't wait to see the finished product.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on March 24, 2021, 07:11:32 AM
Great start to finishing the river.  It's looking pretty darn great so far!   :D

Bob,

Thanks very much. It was a long time coming and look even better when finished.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jim Donovan on March 24, 2021, 07:36:04 AM
Looks great Tom;

Did you cover the water after pouring or just kept the area quiet? I know we both used the Woodland Scenics product with iffy results so am interested in this for my next project 'Silver 'Springs 1910'.

Jim D

Jim,

No, no cover, I poured and left. Woodland Scenics water product sucks! for Silver Springs this is what you want to use. The key will be getting the color right on the base prior to the pour.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on March 24, 2021, 10:57:30 AM
Tom terrific job on that pour.

Looks great!!

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you, much appreciate you checking in.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on March 24, 2021, 06:10:33 PM
Hello Tom, the water looks great, can't wait to see the finished product.   Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you as well. It will be another week or so before I add more.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm now 48 hours+ on the water pour. It still looks good. The extra effort to seal the area prior to the pour paid off. I had no leaks of the resin water.

The Magic Water, just like real water, will seek it's own level. Prior to the pour I made sure the base was level.  My level bubble was in the middle of the two black lines. I've learned with this pour that it wasn't exactly level.

The effect I have on the river is high tide on one side and low tide on the other. Not much difference but if you look you can see the low tide. This is not really an issue for me as it can be covered by the use of Mod Podge later.

In the next photo you can see the old tire is under water.

The next photo shows the old car frame at "low tide".

And so it goes.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Being a UF and Gator fan I had to have "Albert the Alligator" in the river. You can also say this is Fat Albert. Here in Florida, the gators can get al large as 16-18 feet in length.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com