Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Hi again.  (part 2 of two posts)

Of course, when cutting out the walls I had to deduct the width of the 6"x6" corner trim.  This changes on whether it is an internal or external wall, so you have to keep your wits about you.

For the board and batten walls I really didn't have enough material so had to splice in a couple of places.   I also saved some material by framing out the bottom story of the recessed wall with 6"x6" and 6"x2".  I glued these to a piece of thin styrene and painted the area behind the freight doors black.

Photo 1 - shows the recessed wall.

I painted under all the underside of the clapboard siding (both plain and random clapboard was used) in my chosen colour(s) using a very fine brush.  A bit of a tedious exercise when doing this many walls, but one I believe to be necessary when painting using a dry dabbing technique.  (Under the laps of the board above is where the paint stays on the longest.)  I then followed up with dry dabbing with a inside out gym sock.  I added nail holes and board joins to all the scribed siding and clapboard walls (the board and batten I didn't as the battens should hide the nailing, and I've found if I try to add nailing to the battens I cause damage).  I then followed up with and ink wash to accentuate. 

Photo 2 - shows the majority of the walls (four are missing) laid out.

I then started work on the styrene base.  Again, there was a lot of referencing the plans and different elevations, checking measurements with the actual walls, and deduction of the wall thickness.

Photo 3 - shows the styrene base.

Once I was happy with this (slight modifications can be made, often necessary on a structure this complex by compounding small errors, by gluing strips of styrene to the edge of the base, or cutting further material off) I started on construction.

Photo 4 shows assembly beginning.

As I went I glazed the windows, glued them into the structure and added blinds.

Photo 5 - shows the first structure glued together.

One wall was extra tricky, as it was easiest to splice three walls together, the left and right walls facing the back and the middle wall facing the front.  I started with this wall so I could tweak as necessary and get the most difficult one done first.

Photo 6 - shows the large 3-in-1 wall glued in position.

Well - that's it.  I really feel like I got my teeth sunk into this project.  It was very nice to make such a concentrated effort and see heaps of progress in a short amount of time.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Jerry

Nice progress Mark.  I think you build faster than I can type! ;)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteNice progress Mark.  I think you build faster than I can type!

Thanks, Jerry!

I found with a big concentrated effort that I didn't have to keep trying to remember what stage I was up to, so I think things went a bit quicker.  I wish I could put that much time into my hobby every week!

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

Coming along very nicely.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks, Karl.

Here is a photo of the modeling crew at Arthurs Pass.  I'm near the center wearing the black T-shirt.  the left half of the table is my modeling space.  You can see how much mess I can get into in just one weekend!  Mind you - it was a fairly big project.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Great progress on the build Mark.....and quite the "crew".  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Thanks Gregory - it was a lot of fun.

Well - a bit more progress.  We are down from 23 walls to 10, so its getting easier to find what I need next.  I've put in a fair bit of internal bracing.  The clapboard needs vertical bracing, while the scribed siding needs horizontal bracing.  I've also put bracing up and down the rakes of the gable walls.  My usual procedure is to glue the 6"x6" corner trim on first, with the wall upside down so the 6"x6" sits a little proud of the siding (like the prototype).  I always glue my trim to the gable ends so I get a nice angled cut in line with the gable.  Once the glue is set I trim the 6"x6" with the bottom and top of the wall.  I then flip the wall over and add bracing.  A piece up each side in line with the meeting of the wall and the trim, pieces up the rake of any gable, and bracing to stop the wall from cupping, direction depending on the grain of the siding.  Next glazing the windows, gluing the windows into the wall, and adding blinds.  I then use canopy glue to glue each wall to its neighbour, and CA to glue the bottom of each wall to the base.

Photo 1 - view from the back left.

Photo 2 - view from the front right.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

It looks like there was a lot of modeling going on at your outing. It is really nice to get to share the hobby with friends. Nice progress on the wall sections - I can't wait to see them on the layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteIt looks like there was a lot of modeling going on at your outing. It is really nice to get to share the hobby with friends. Nice progress on the wall sections - I can't wait to see them on the layout.

Thanks, John.

It was a great weekend.  I had such a great time that I have already organized another modeling weekend here.

Continuing on... 

I am down to 4 walls left to assemble on my Arthurs Pass project.  There are a number of freight doors to scratchbuild for these.  I was looking for signage today and have found what I think is a really good extension idea - downwards!  More on that later.  I was advised on my weekend away that my structure didn't have any rooms big enough to be a sail makers.  Apparently, the sail shapes were marked out on the floor in chalk and then the sails cut to these lines.  As this is a collection of smaller buildings, there is only enough room to make small sails.  I've been rethinking this structures purpose and I think a ships chandler to the right and a boat builder/ repair shop to the left.  Again, there will only be enough room for small boats, but perhaps small sails could be made upstairs.  Offices and sales will be to the rear, where there will be road access.

In other news - after standing and staring at my layout for some time I finally got brave and made some mess.  As I have mentioned earlier, my backwall diorama has grown so much in mass that it has become obvious that it now needs to be cut into smaller sections.  I cut out the first of these today.  I will now be able to work on this section at the workbench.

Photo 1 - shows the new hole in the layout.

Photo 2 - shows the new smaller 'chunk' or diorama.  It is approximately 500mm by 400mm which is just over 2 square feet.  It will be occupied by my City Classics/ DPM M. T. Arms hotel kitbash, my block of 2 shops, Zealandia cycle works, and one more City Classics kitbash, yet to be started.  There are two bridges to build and numerous retaining walls.  It should be fun to create some landscape in 1:87 instead of (well - as well as) 1:1.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Cheers Mark,

Wow, two months since I was here. Time just goes by to fast these days.

Thanks for the dimensions on the layout/diorama. You've done a fantastic job getting the structures. In place. I'm amazed at how much you've accomplished in the past couple of months. I hope to get back on the fast track as well in the coming weeks.

Again, great job and extremely well done!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteCheers Mark,

Wow, two months since I was here. Time just goes by to fast these days.

Thanks for the dimensions on the layout/diorama. You've done a fantastic job getting the structures. In place. I'm amazed at how much you've accomplished in the past couple of months. I hope to get back on the fast track as well in the coming weeks.

Again, great job and extremely well done!

Thanks so much, Tom.

It feels a bit odd to be being called fast by you!  Pleased to see you indulging in a week of modeling.  Well deserved!  Yes - the older we get the fasted time seems to go.  Maybe its a percentage thing.  When you are five, a year is a fifth of your life - when you are 60...  Having said that, March last year lasted for a full year - I'm sure!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey Mark:

Looking good.

Thanks, Karl.

It will be nice to work on some scenery for a change.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

I thought I'd mock-up this diorama so you can get a feel for what it will look like when done.  There was a lot of consideration (and procrastination) put into where was best to cut this diorama.  As I got into the cutting process there was also some revising to make things easier or even possible.

Photo 1 - shows an aerial view from the right.

Photo 2 - shows and aerial view from above.

Photo 3 - shows and aerial view from the left.

Photo 4 - shows a view from the front.

Photo 5 - shows a view from the right.

Photo 6 - shows a view from the left.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Mark

The mockup looks great. Are any of the roadways I see in the mockup going to be rail lines?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad