Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey John:

Your build is looking just beautiful. Keep the pic coming.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 25, 2020, 04:47:37 AM
Hey John:

Your build is looking just beautiful. Keep the pic coming.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along and the complements. It's all about the details, many more to come.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

That L shaped galvanized pipe looks perfect!  How did you do that?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 25, 2020, 07:24:11 AM
That L shaped galvanized pipe looks perfect!  How did you do that?

dave

David

The galvanized piping and roof vents are all castings that were supplied with the kit.  I primed them with grey primer and then added two different shades of grey chalk - first coat is put on with alcohol to get a good coating. Then dry chalk is added over the top - two slightly different shades. I will be adding some rust highlights so they don't look like the building was just built.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I spent most of my time today working on the mainline track changes, but I did add a few more details to the Swakhammer build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

After working on my F&SM track side pictures thread I turned my Swakhammer's build around to add all the details to the back side. I originally was thinking about only adding the details to the front, visible to the viewer, side of the buildings. The only builds that can get away with that, now with cameras mounted in rolling stock, is the structures that are right up against the backdrop with no track work in-between. It is all about the details.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  The back side details are going on the Swakhammer's build.  It needs to look good when the camera goes by on the mainline behind it. ;)

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

While I'm working on track work improvements I also have a mainline shift and sidings going in for the Locomotive Works and Brownsville Depot (a build that's getting close to the top of my list), in the Eagles Nest Yard.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I will be using servo motors to control the turnouts in this area.  The holes in the facia that you see are for the motors, a wire runs from the servo motor to the turnout.  I will take some pictures tomorrow. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The track laying crew is limited by the number of weights I have available. I put down as much track as I have weights for and then go back to structure building. I really like going back and forth between projects. 

The phone call from George Sellios really put a spring in my step, this morning. See

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4952.msg133769;topicseen#new

for the details.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

My God I can't believe this layout. Thanks my friend.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Mark Dalrymple