sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

Zephyrus52246

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

deemery

Try a light grey mortar rather than white, and see if you like that better. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

Hi John.

A little while ago I watched a video by Jason Jensen where he used a technique new to me on his Chippy Hollow kitbash.  I thought the results were outstanding, but also that the technique would lend itself to stonework perfectly.  Actually, I was a little bamboozled why he didn't use it on the stone work.  Brickwork painting starts at about minute 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3hQLvCd5DM

Anyway - I think you need to get more variation in the stonework colouring.  When using chalk for mortar I use a fine brush and gentle blowing to remove the dusty look from the internal column seams and around sills and lintels.  I also use the oil off my fingers to remove the grout from the bricks and into the mortar lines.

Cheers, Mark.

deemery

Quote from: mark dalrymple on May 03, 2020, 06:49:40 PM
Anyway - I think you need to get more variation in the stonework colouring.  ...

As a rule of thumb, the older the brick, the more color variation.  By the mid 20th century, bricks were being made in pretty uniform colors.  But in the 19th century and before, there could be variation from black to brown to red to orange.  So brick coloring is a good way to imply when the structure was built.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on May 03, 2020, 04:39:59 PM
I like it John.  looks very good.

Steve

Thank you for the kind words and for following along - after painting this one casting I'm getting a feeling for how huge this project is.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on May 03, 2020, 04:52:52 PM
I agree with Steve, looks good.

Jeff

Jeff

Thank you  - now for all the real castings that I'm going to use.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on May 03, 2020, 05:02:50 PM
John,
John Allen would be proud !
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you - like most of us  - John Allen got it all started for me. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Hi John.

A little while ago I watched a video by Jason Jensen where he used a technique new to me on his Chippy Hollow kitbash.  I thought the results were outstanding, but also that the technique would lend itself to stonework perfectly.  Actually, I was a little bamboozled why he didn't use it on the stone work.  Brickwork painting starts at about minute 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3hQLvCd5DM

Anyway - I think you need to get more variation in the stonework colouring.  When using chalk for mortar I use a fine brush and gentle blowing to remove the dusty look from the internal column seams and around sills and lintels.  I also use the oil off my fingers to remove the grout from the bricks and into the mortar lines.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the suggestions.

I took a look at Jason's video - I have used the sponge and acrylic paint technique on a number of my builds. It does give excellent results.  My first test sample is basically my version of the coloring that Bob recommends. I'm going to try a test casting with the same brick but add some color variation to the Stone on the bottom.  I will probably try a couple more before making a final decision.  Thank you again, for following along and the suggestions.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on May 03, 2020, 05:33:35 PM
Try a light grey mortar rather than white, and see if you like that better. 

dave

The mortar on the top brick can be more grey if I add more color to the bottom stone work.  I will give it a try on my next test sample.  Thank you for the suggestion.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on May 03, 2020, 07:45:12 PM
Anyway - I think you need to get more variation in the stonework colouring.  ...

As a rule of thumb, the older the brick, the more color variation.  By the mid 20th century, bricks were being made in pretty uniform colors.  But in the 19th century and before, there could be variation from black to brown to red to orange.  So brick coloring is a good way to imply when the structure was built.

dave

Dave

I agree with your rule of thumb - my time frame is the late 1940's.  I like the look of the top brick but may try the sponge technique on one test sample just to see what it looks like. I definitely want to take a look at using a color variation with the bottom stone work. Stay tuned - I will post some pictures as I play with it.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

John - just to be clear - what I am suggesting is that you try Jason's brick technique (which starts at minute 24 and uses a brush rather than a sponge) to paint your stonework.  I just thought it was a technique which would get variations within individual stones rather than from one stone to the next.  Its been my experience when looking at stonework closely in the prototype that each stone has several different colours within it.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on May 04, 2020, 03:17:36 PM
John - just to be clear - what I am suggesting is that you try Jason's brick technique (which starts at minute 24 and uses a brush rather than a sponge) to paint your stonework.  I just thought it was a technique which would get variations within individual stones rather than from one stone to the next.  Its been my experience when looking at stonework closely in the prototype that each stone has several different colours within it.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

I understand your recommendation, it makes for some beautiful brick and stone work. I have done it with a sponge and by dabbing with a brush.  I will make a test sample.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I made progress on a number of fronts, today.  First, I installed 8 more tortoise machines and got them wired into the control panel and operational. I have 10 more tortoise machines  and 8 servo controlled turnouts to complete and the entire layout with 140 turnouts will be electrified and operational.
John Siekirk