Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

So after studying pictures while I was at my cabin this week, I came home with a list of issues that I wanted to solve before going forward with the farm site.  The main issue was the sight block that was developing between the two rooms of my layout. Since the wall is gone it's not really two rooms, any more, but an L shaped room. I want to maintain the depth of the layout by having viewing points that allow one to see the mountains and scenery on the other side of the layout while viewing the details in the foreground. The rocks and trees where beginning to get in the way of this line of sight.  If I raised the farm to make it visible over the tree tops and rock formations the view block got even worse. So - this morning I brought in the chain saw and the dynamite.  Problem solved. 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here are a few pictures of the area after the modifications along with the cardboard templates of the footprints for the major structures of the farm.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I used a box that was a little bigger to simulate the view block of the barn.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The scenery in this area will be redone with more rocks and small trees and bushes.

John Siekirk

deemery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69iB-xy0u4A   ;D

(You'll probably need some fencing to keep the cows from wandering over the cliffs onto the tracks below....)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

NKP768

John,
We have a good friend who has a cattle farm in Twin Falls Idaho and his pasture runs to the edge of the Snake River Canyon. I asked him about Bessie going over the edge and he said its rare that they lose one in the canyon. He said its usually a young calf that gets to "feeling his oats and forgets where he is". Looking forward to this build -good luck.....
Doug

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 03, 2020, 09:19:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69iB-xy0u4A   ;D

(You'll probably need some fencing to keep the cows from wandering over the cliffs onto the tracks below....)

dave

I will have many happy hours of fence building on this project. I filled my workbench with details that will find their way into this scene.  I have been collecting farm stuff for years waiting for this project.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: NKP768 on August 03, 2020, 11:11:21 AM
John,
We have a good friend who has a cattle farm in Twin Falls Idaho and his pasture runs to the edge of the Snake River Canyon. I asked him about Bessie going over the edge and he said its rare that they lose one in the canyon. He said its usually a young calf that gets to "feeling his oats and forgets where he is". Looking forward to this build -good luck.....
Doug

Doug

Thanks for following along. I'm really excited about this project. I will be adding lots of fencing to keep the critters from the cliffs. I have some barn and house modifications planned to help the structures fit my layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: After the scenery modifications for the Whispering Falls "plus" build I completed the baseboard and I'm working on some sketches for structure placement, along with all the details I have planned. I have the castings for the build out and I'm working on getting them ready for priming.

In my usual tradition I have three builds going at the same time.  The Brick Roundhouse build is in the process of being installed. Wiring for the tracks, LED lighting, and turntable installation.  This will be followed by the scenery and detailing.  I'm waiting for a shipment of additional roof vents and have the trim and doors to complete on the 4 stall section of the roundhouse.

My third build is the FSM G. Wilikers - I have the detail castings painted and the pieces for the structures are on the workbench ready to start the build process.

Since I'm going to be doing some casting painting, and it's a great job to take with me to the cabin in the fall, I'm going to get the castings for my forth build on my list, the FSM Brownsville Depot prepared for priming.

I will be posting periodic progress pictures on all four projects.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

I've enjoyed your journey. The brick roundhouse is certainly a favorite of mine. Great job on the empire.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 04, 2020, 12:28:36 PM
John,

I've enjoyed your journey. The brick roundhouse is certainly a favorite of mine. Great job on the empire.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for the encouraging words and for following along.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

More great pictures. Layout looks just beautiful.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 05, 2020, 12:12:54 PM
Hey John:

More great pictures. Layout looks just beautiful.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, a little more each day. ;)
John Siekirk