Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Looks good John.....northern SBG day to see it in person.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

John,

The backdrops look wonderful. Really changes the look doesn't it?

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

Thanks for the positive feedback. As far as the supports...I made the decision to have them inside the "box" to gain the additional 4' of scenic depth. As described earlier, the layout is designed to be moved, so each box must be self supporting and fit through doors, relatively lightweight, etc. All of that factored into the obvious compromise. Having said that, I'm looking at them and thinking a strip of simple photo backdrop on each side would probably do a lot to make them disappear further (although they really don't bother me - human vision/perception adapts to whatever you're focusing on or not - like when someone asks if you know where there is a Shell station, for example, and you shrug and later realize you drive by a dozen every day - because now you're looking).

Would love to have an SBG North meet soon...Next project is likely the hidden track and staging behind the layout...shouldn't take long once my box of flex track arrives from Caboose Hobbies. Hopefully, I won't run a Blackstone engine off of the end of the world before then.

Just installed the Ultraboard Facing.

John

ak-milw

John, I figured you had a good reason and that I probably shouldn't have brought it up. The idea of wrapping the backdrop around it should really make it disappear. again great work!

8)

S&S RR

John those backdrops look fantastic.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Zephyrus52246

I'll add another "WOW".   :)

Jeff

ReadingBob

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 24, 2016, 09:20:45 AM
I'll add another "WOW".   :)

Jeff

And one more for good measure.....WOW!   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

donatode

OWO!!!  No matter how you write it ..... it's GREAT!!!

Erieman

John, Wonderful execution. Can't wait to see more. Sorry to see the old layout go, but this looks even better. keep up the great work and more pics please.

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

John,

You always point the finger at me for fast work but you are right there Butty! Great job on the new layout.

Tom ;D

Oh yes, another WOW for the backdrop.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jrmueller

Great concept and execution John
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

cuse

Thank you for the support, friends. In a flurry of activity Sunday night, I built the benchwork for the hidden staging area as well as a shelf below so I can someday stack all of my unbuilt kits somewhere. On Monday night, UPS showed up with my package from Caboose Hobbies, but the end was missing from the cylinder and none of the flex track or rail joiners were inside...Frustrating. Obviously, I refused delivery, contacted Caboose Hobbies, and, etc...bottom line, I laid the track I had on hand, but now I must wait to complete the area. The most important part of the little addition is the ability to have a continuous run. I could never have a layout without at least a small loop as I prefer to just let 'em chuff around while I do other things. Eventually, I'll build an end module to replace the loop at the end.

John

PennsyJ1

WOW John. Kris & I love the look.

Bill
Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

Janbouli

Great John , your layout looks a lot like the show layouts from the UK and rest of Europe.
I love photo's, don't we all.

cuse

Thanks Guys.

Jan, that's no accident. :)

John