Delta Mill Build

Started by Joe, February 28, 2021, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

A quick update on my wall experiments. 
1. I shortened up my front wall section to account for the end walls of the mill.  It still comes out to the 50 feet dimension.

2.  I added the keystones in a similar pattern into the edges of the end wall section.  I only made the end walls about 2 inches wide for this experiment.  The horizontal lines all match up.

3.  I made a mood that creates a pretty good corner wall that wraps around.

Notes:  The wall sections fit really well together and the seam is almost invisible.  You might notice some jigs and fingers holding things tight in lieu of glue for my test fit. Not easy with an iPad and 3 wall sections, lol

Next steps:
1.  Design and cut the doors.
2. Work on the 2 peaked end walls, this will take some time.

Joe

postalkarl

Hey Joe:

beautiful job on the stone walls. Can't wait for more pics.

Karl

Jerry

Joe nice stone work on those corners.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

tom.boyd.125

Joe,
Looks like an interesting project.
Will follow along...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Joe

Thanks everyone, I am working away on laying bricks "virtually" everyday.  Will keep you posted with photos when I have an update.

craftsmankits

Please keep us updated.  Very nice work.  Mark

Joe

I have been working on the end wall and I finally have a wall section to show.  I kind of figured that not having a couple of stone courses was going to be a structural problem, lol. See the broke wall, so I added 3 courses of stone, you won't see it anyway once the water is modelled.  I am pretty happy with the fit and finish (this is just fresh with no sanding, just a dry test fit). None of the windows are glued in, only shoved in place. 

I think I will do the other peaked wall next.  I can't wait to see what challenges this section will have in store for me.  I am hoping to get the next section done a little quicker.

S&S RR

Joe

Very interesting project, I will be following along. Thank you for sharing it with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Joe

I was having trouble posting photos that were resized and not upside down.  I think I have it figured out, fingers crossed.  Thanks for having a look. 

Joe

Good Morning
Here is the progress of the third wall.  I tried to set my windows and doors deeper into the mild and had trouble getting them out.  You can see the white around a couple of the openings where the hydrocal flaked off with the mood.  I will have to go back to the shallower method I was using.  I have the 2 easiest walls left so it should be smooth sailing ... right???

Thanks for having a look and following along, I appreciate it.

Joe

I have finished the short wall.  I made it too tall and it won't work with the way it was built.  I am going to adjust it and make it the same height as the end wall.  I also will experiment with making the wall thicker on the bottom half and thin on the top.  I will see how it goes. 

For now I will be working on all my final adjustments before I am content with the end results, then I will see if I can make some masters so I can make castings for those interested.  Still lots of work but it will keep me focused and headed in a positive direction. 

Joe

Joe

I installed all the windows on 2 walls and started to work on the doors as well.  A couple of progress shots.  Joe

Joe

Finished placing the windows and the doors.  Next step I will tackle the roof and roof trim.

Oldguy

That is looking really, really good.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

GPdemayo

That is going to be one good looking mill when you get done Joe.....well done.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL