The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Started by ACL1504, May 31, 2021, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I planted Gusano Loco and left what I thought was enough room for parking in front.

I cut some heavy stock cardboard and glued it in place.

Continued -

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When dry, I marked in some expansion joints and sealed it with white glue.

I then realized I made a layout "faux pas" and made the front parking area to small.

So up came the restaurant and surrounding scenery.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Instead of removing the front parking area, I just added another HO scale 10 ft. I used the joint between the two as an expansion joint.

I then glued this in place and used weight to hold it down until dry.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The next morning I removed the weights and painted on Floquil Concrete. I then replanted Gusano Loco and added new scenery material.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also added scenery behind Cracker Boy Citrus structure #1 and between the two rear tracks. Actually the lower track is the mainline going into Tahope.

I've trying to decide which structures I'll use in the area shown below. I have several I've been trying and so far not found one to my liking.

Diet Pepsi time, back in a few more.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This small FOS structure is one Reading Bob built for our deceased friend Jim Miller. Jim had this on his layout for several years. I thought this auto repair shop with an old car/truck graveyard next to it may work but decided not to go with another auto shop in this location.

The sign over the repair bay door reads "Bob's Garage".

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I was going over some of my previous build kits and found a F&SM kit that will serve and fit this area best. I built this many years ago. The Rusty Spike Diner is one of the kits in the FSM kit #270 - Roadside Delights. This one was the 25th Silver Anniversary kit from FSM.

I only built the diner and not the rest of the kit. At least not yet! :-X

Many of you know that I don't like building a kit as per the instructions. The Rusty Spike has a kitchen off to the right in the original FSM version. In the photo below the loading dock for the kitchen is in the front and next to where customers inter the diner.  Not sure I'd want to enter an eating establishment where food is being loaded in front.

In my build, I chose to move the kitchen to the other end and have the kitchen loading dock in the rear. This looks better and makes more sense to me.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is how my version looks from the rear of the diner. The kitchen loading dock looks more appropriate in the rear. Also, I didn't use the two large vent stacks used on the original version. The two main colors of the diner are Floquil Depot Buff and Depot Olive. The curved roof is painted with Floquil GN Gray Green with one drop of Floquil CN Gray in the mix. The sloped roof is just straight Floquil CN Gray.

Done for today.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Tom.

I'm pleased you changed your mind on the new addition.  I think the diner is a much better fit, too.

Cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Bernd

Great looking diner. I like the rearrangement of the kitchen and loading dock. Makes more sense.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

ACL1504

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on June 05, 2021, 07:45:59 PM
Looking good, Tom.

I'm pleased you changed your mind on the new addition.  I think the diner is a much better fit, too.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark, Cheers,

Thank you and yes I like this one here also.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bernd on June 06, 2021, 12:31:18 PM
Great looking diner. I like the rearrangement of the kitchen and loading dock. Makes more sense.

Bernd

Bernd,

Thank you. It was a fun build and the moving of the kitchen end definitely made a big difference in the look of the diner. I also opted to leave off the paper awning. I have interior in the diner and will also add interior lights.

Tom  ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I weathered the slabs using Pan Pastel chalks. I used a soft 1" brush and lightly dusted the slabs. I used a dark gray mixed with a little burnt sienna.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com