The St. Louis & Denver Railroad - The Build

Started by GPdemayo, December 21, 2013, 09:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on November 17, 2023, 07:37:11 PM
QuoteThe tank was on the Highline section of the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad that ran 63 miles from Como, thru Breckenridge and onto Leadville. At the time this was the most dangerous bit of track in the nation.

Thanks for the extra information, Greg.

It looks like a fun build.  We drove the million dollar highway on our trip to the USA in 2015.  We also took the train from Durango to Silverton.  This is as close as we got to the location of your water tank.  The drive from Telluride to Moab was the closest I felt to being in New Zealand on our five weeks in the US.  The most isolated part of our journey, and after five days in New York, something I craved.  Colorado is also very close in both population and area to New Zealand.

Cheers, Mark.

You're welcome Mark.

Before college, I spent half my summers in rural areas of Missouri and the other half across the Hudson in Jersey. In the early 2000's Pegi and I made over a dozen trips, mostly to Colorado, and a couple to Montana and Utah.

The area you visited is in southwest Colorado and we haven't made it there yet, but know a few who have and they really it, especially the Durango & Silverton and the Cumbres & Toltec railroads.

New York is okay, but not the place I would choose to live, too many people in such a tiny area, not to mention the cost of living is ridiculous. The west, in the Rockies, would be a great place to live, work and play.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hi All.....a little update:

The photos for page #5 were added back on Nov. 19 and when I went to add photos to pages #6, #7 and #8 last week, before Thanksgiving, I found that the links at the bottom of each post had the photos that were missing. They were not in the post where originally placed, but they were now viewable at the end of each post.

I clicked on one of the small photos and it zoomed up to full size. I'm not sure what the forum gurus did, but everything is back to normal. Big thanks to Jim and/or Craig.

If any of y'all have any questions, I'll get you an answer as soon as possible.

I have a few things to add to be fully caught up from the last posts of 2017 and those will post those in the coming weeks.

I am now in the process of pondering the future of the St. L&D and the direction I will travel. All will be revealed in the not to distant future.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: GPdemayo on November 27, 2023, 02:57:51 PMHi All.....a little update:

The photos for page #5 were added back on Nov. 19 and when I went to add photos to pages #6, #7 and #8 last week, before Thanksgiving, I found that the links at the bottom of each post had the photos that were missing. They were not in the post where originally placed, but they were now viewable at the end of each post.

I clicked on one of the small photos and it zoomed up to full size. I'm not sure what the forum gurus did, but everything is back to normal. Big thanks to Jim and/or Craig.

If any of y'all have any questions, I'll get you an answer as soon as possible.

I have a few things to add to be fully caught up from the last posts of 2017 and those will post those in the coming weeks.

I am now in the process of pondering the future of the St. L&D and the direction I will travel. All will be revealed in the not to distant future.

I noticed a few days ago that some attachment thumbnails were not displaying for a lot of posts, so I had the forum regenerate them all. Fixed the issue straight away :)

GPdemayo

Thanks again Craig.....we all appreciate all the effort and time you and Jim are giving to the forum.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL