Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 4) Started 8/14/21

Started by S&S RR, August 14, 2021, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

Spectacular, John. Again. Sort of John Allen-like with the mountains going up to the ceiling.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Mark Dalrymple

Looking forward to watching this area come together, John.

It should look spectacular when you are done.

Cheers, Mark.

PaulS

Looking great John and really coming together !!
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

bparrish

John........

I told you this some time ago and I'll tell you again.......................  If you are not careful....... you will have a real railroad on your hands......

Just super stuff.............

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

postalkarl

Hey John:

all I can say is WOWWIE!!!!!!! Just beautiful work as always.

Karl

sdrees

This looks great John. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: vinceg on January 31, 2022, 09:31:10 PM
Spectacular, John. Again. Sort of John Allen-like with the mountains going up to the ceiling.

Vince

Thank you for the kind words and I will take any comment that compares the layout to John Allen's wonderful work. We do share a love of mountains.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on January 31, 2022, 10:48:01 PM
Looking forward to watching this area come together, John.

It should look spectacular when you are done.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the encouragement and for following along. Later this evening I have some progress photographs and an explanation of how I'm approaching the design of this town.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PaulS on February 01, 2022, 06:35:23 AM
Looking great John and really coming together !!
--Paul

Paul

Thank you - it's great when a plan comes together. And the Sayles Mill actually fit in the hole.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on February 01, 2022, 01:02:00 PM
John........

I told you this some time ago and I'll tell you again.......................  If you are not careful....... you will have a real railroad on your hands......

Just super stuff.............

Thanx
Bob

Bob

Thank you, and I hope it does some day look like a real railroad.  I just got to get all the plywood covered. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on February 01, 2022, 05:03:01 PM
Hey John:

all I can say is WOWWIE!!!!!!! Just beautiful work as always.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the encouragement. It is appreciated.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on February 01, 2022, 08:29:18 PM
This looks great John. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Thank you, I hope we can get you out here one day to see it in person.  I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Narrow Gauge Convention.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Before I get into the discussion about how I'm designing the town of Vansel, I wanted to show off my new bench top for my rolling workbench.  It was time for a new top surface and I wanted to add more T-slot capacity so I was pricing the T-track and planned on routing in the slots into a new oak bench top.  I was putting all the pieces together and well it was over $200 when I stopped.  And that was just for the track pieces and I didn't have the board, yet. So I turn the page of the Rockler catalog and they had a new pre-made top that was much smaller than the one on my layout workbench on sale for $119. Two mouse clicks and it was at my front door in two days. This bench top is 20 x 26 inches. Just for reference the T-slot bench top that you have seen me using for the past few years is 28x40 inches and I had to build a special bench to fit it. So anyway, I have a lot more space for the new builds I have coming up.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

With the planting of the Sayles Mill I have completed the back structures for the town of Vansel. This establishes the back or depth of the town and also the highest points for the town. The town will have elevation change so I added an upper level plateau that will have a two level Depot - yes it was inspired by Franklin Square on the F&SM. The footprint of the town is broken into bench size pieces so I can build it and set it in to the layout.  I need to make the baseboards for each of these pieces so I cut paper templates of each area.  These templates will be used to cut the 3/4 inch plywood baseboards, and will also be used on my drawing board where I will layout the structures roads and additional spur tracks. Here are a few pictures of what I have been up to the last few days.

I already started cutting the plywood pieces, using the templates. I also framed in the back hatch which will allow access to the areas of the layout I can't reach from the aisle. More progress photographs, soon.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision