Flotation mine 2022 build challenge

Started by Mark Dalrymple, December 29, 2021, 08:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteGreat job with that Mark.

Thanks, Curt.

Hoping to get a bit more done later today.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHaven't checked in while. Looking good Mark.

I keep looking at those drawings in the magazine and am amazed you can make sense of it all.

Thanks, Bernd.

Like I say - if you are going to tackle this project, start by drawing those two internal elevations and a plan view.  I think I would also redraw the elevation without the chimney obscuring those important measurements.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well - I finally have that main sub-assembly together!  I still have a small gable wall to put on the top section and then its on to the lower pieces - including that last suspended room.  You can see I opted to build full height walls at the back rather than stepping the base.  I buy my 1.5mm styrene in large sheets from a local manufacture - so its not that expensive - a fraction of the price of buying from a hobby store.

Photo 1 - back left
Photo 2 - front left
Photo 3 - back right
Photos 4 & 5 - above

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey mark:

Moving right along. Looking just great.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

darrylhuffman

I am following your progress with interest because I built this model when Gil Melle first published his drawings.

My model was destroyed in a move with no photos ever taken.

I was pretty young at the time and made one bad mistake.  I had read about using masking tape for tar paper roofs, so that is what I used. 

Within a few years the masking tape lost it's grip and began lifting off the wood.  It just made a big mess of everything.

I have kept the plans with the thought of building another version someday.

I really enjoyed seeing Joc Oliphant's version.  One of my favorite all time models.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished version.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHey mark:

Moving right along. Looking just great.

Thanks, Karl.

Things have ended up lining up pretty well.  I had to persuade things a little bit in a couple of places.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteLooking great Mark.

Thanks, Curt.

Its coming together slowly...

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI am following your progress with interest because I built this model when Gil Melle first published his drawings.

My model was destroyed in a move with no photos ever taken.

I was pretty young at the time and made one bad mistake.  I had read about using masking tape for tar paper roofs, so that is what I used.

Within a few years the masking tape lost it's grip and began lifting off the wood.  It just made a big mess of everything.

I have kept the plans with the thought of building another version someday.

I really enjoyed seeing Joc Oliphant's version.  One of my favorite all time models.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished version.

Thanks, Darryl.

Its good to meet another fellow 'flotator'.  You are number 2 so far.

We will have to see how we go with masking tape tar paper roofing.  I have use this method a reasonable amount.  I always use the high tack version.  Hopefully the glue technology has improved over the last 40 years.  I haven't noticed anything letting go yet - and its been a good few years now.

I agree - Jock's model is amongst my favourite ever model builds.  Its been on my list to build for decades.

Cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

Mark an excellent job on this one.

Sorry it took so long to post!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteLooking good Mark..... 8)

Thanks, Gregory.

I got some windows glazed and installed yesterday.  I then started working on the sub-assembly at front right.  In doing so I ran into a small problem with my floor piece not working out width ways from one end to the other.  Finally a chased it back to the plans.  The two end elevations are slightly different in size - enough to matter and cause problems.  Of course, living in a country where we use metric measurements I pretty much ignored the imperial measurements on the plan and just measured with my ruler.  They still should be right, though.  Just another thing to look out for.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteMark an excellent job on this one.

Sorry it took so long to post!

Thanks, Jerry.

Better late than never they always say!  Its great to have following along.

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond