Metal roofing

Started by nvrr49, December 31, 2013, 11:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrr49

How does everyone out there model corrugated metal roofing?  I am going to use some on a Farrowing Barn, and some other pig sheds, and looking to try something different.  All suggestions and directions appreciated. 

Erieman

Quote from: nvrr49 on December 31, 2013, 11:06:50 AM
How does everyone out there model corrugated metal roofing?  I am going to use some on a Farrowing Barn, and some other pig sheds, and looking to try something different.  All suggestions and directions appreciated.

Kent,

There are several suppliers selling "Metal Roofing" It is basically heavy gauge aluminum that is rolled to achieve the variety of rib patterns. I have been using " Builders in Scale" because they offer a wide variety of designs and regular and heavy duty foil. I paint the foil before making any cuts. I use a cheap rattle can flat grey primer from WalMart which is about one dollar. Because of the price and availability, I buy more than one can. Walmart discontinued this product , but re introduced it because of demand. they used to also have a flat red oxide primer, but I have not seen that product in a couple of years.
I let the primer dry hard for at least a day.   

After the grey has hardened, I use a variety of water based paints to achieve a rust appearance. These include "Georgia clay, Heritage Brick and Burnt umber from Americana. I have also used "Indian Red" from Apple Barrel. you might want to experiment with other colors. they are cheap and have a good variety of colors. Hobby Lobby and Michael's have the best selection in our area. I think that Jo'Ann's is part of Michael's and also have these products. look for coupons and save a few bucks.

I paint each strip at one time. I try not to add water, but dry brush the paint on the grey aluminum. remember that you do not want to paint the entire surface. Drag the brush downward.Do not overlap your brush stroke. Typically the paint being applied fades or drops away as the brush stroke continues. you want to have grey and rust showing.

Now for the hard part(s). cutting the aluminum should be done with scissors. A knife has the tendency to cut or tear the aluminum. Scissors also have issues. They tend to curl the edge being cut. you can correct this by running your finger down the edge. Now the edge is bright aluminum and it will show when you build your model. at least one edge will show. I overlap the roofing so one edge is hidden. Then ever so lightly, i brush on a color. you have to be careful to insure that the paint does not get on the top surface,

Here is an example of metal roofing on a recent structure that I constructed. I have recently also purchased a couple of pastels from a company called Panpastel. they offer a nice variety of red, brown oxide colors that are like rust. Experiment and write down what you use. Once you have a color combination you like, keep it in a book for future reference. I keep a journal of all paint / pastel and other pigments on wood, metal and plastic for future reference. it may sound silly, but wait to you try to duplicate something six months or a year from now.

If you have any questions, PM me or post it.

Frank / Erieman 

Jerry

Nice roof Frank.

Kent
I etched mine then sprayed it with gray primer.  Then worked the pastels into it.  The same ones that Brett at Sierra West.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jerryrbeach

Kent,
When I use corrugated metal, I pretty much follow the methods described by Frank and Jerry.  I usually scrub the material with a mix of water and scouring powder to add "tooth" to help the primer adhere to the metal. I also cut the material to the size sheets I am going to use before rattle can priming both sides.  I usually use acrylic paint, dry brushing several rust colors.  When I do this I try to be random, but also recognize that some sections rust more than others due to weather and other factors.  I then use chalks or weathering powders to add some accents as well as blend any areas that seem unrealistic.
I have also used preprinted corrugated paper from Clever Models.  I cut it into pieces, and use a marker to darken the white edges.  Sometimes I apply it "as is", other times I use a die I purchased on ebay to add corrugations to the paper.  I dry brush and use powdered chalks to add some variety to the printed sheets.  The paper's porosity helps the chalks adhere, I don't use a fixative.  I dislike using weathering powders on the paper, the adhesive in the powders means if you apply too much, there is no way to remove it.
Kingmill used to sell a self adhesive preprinted paper with their kits.  I treat it the same as the Clever paper, do not know if it is available separately.
Northeastern has a new corrugated roofing that I have never used, maybe someone else that is familiar with that product will post a response.
HTH
Jerry

ak-milw

I normally use Campbells or Rusty Stumps.

8)

jrmueller

I recently drove back and forth in The Valley in Virginia and found my self closely observing (while my wife was driving) the various iterations of metal roofs and their colors.  There is such a variety that I don't think you can go wrong following the techniques described.  One thing I noticed was that very few buildings had nice bright roofs; lots of need for maintenance projects!  Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

GPdemayo

Kent:

Here are a couple of an "O" scale kit I did for Capt. Mike.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nvrr49

Gregory, that looks really good!

rustyfawcett

I used etching method on this roof. it works fast be ready to pull the pieces out and get em water..

GPdemayo

Quote from: nvrr49 on January 01, 2014, 10:32:42 AM
Gregory, that looks really good!

Thanks Kent, I appreciate the kind words!  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Dave K.

I've been happy with those supplied by Rusty Stumps and others. Cut to size...prime with rattle can, and then use heavy coats of different shades of weathering powders dipped in a tiny dab of paint or glue (I like heavy texture). Easy peasy.

nvrr49

This was my first attempt with the corrugated paper from wildwestmodels.com.  After cutting to length, I dry brushed with some rust colors, gave a wash of A&I, then applied weathering powder.

More picts here: http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2014/02/farrowing-barn-down-on-farm-8-3d-printed.html

rustyfawcett

Quote from: nvrr49 on February 09, 2014, 10:17:52 AM

This was my first attempt with the corrugated paper from wildwestmodels.com.  After cutting to length, I dry brushed with some rust colors, gave a wash of A&I, then applied weathering powder.

More picts here: http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2014/02/farrowing-barn-down-on-farm-8-3d-printed.html
Nice job on the coloring. looks good