FOS Juniper Freight House.

Started by ACL1504, July 21, 2016, 07:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ger deguelle

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 22, 2016, 03:59:11 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on July 22, 2016, 08:25:50 AM
Another ACL1504 build.....I'll be watching over your shoulder.  ;)

Butty Greg,

Thank you. I've been on this build for most of the day and I keep looking over my shoulder but haven't seen you as yet. Your disguise is wonderful. I'd like to borrow it. 8) 8)  No, better yet, I want one.

Tom ;D

Not a problem.....you'r disguise is in the mail.  ;D ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: ger deguelle on July 23, 2016, 09:19:30 AM
looking great

Ger,

Thank you, very much appreciate the kind words.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Not much to report today. I added the trim board flush with the platform. It was painted the same Desert Yellow prior to adding it.

I decided to add some cross bracing to the support posts. I stained a few pieces of 2X6 strip wood with the Cordovan Brown weathering mix from Hunterline. The model has the post but not the cross bracing.

There is nothing wrong with the posts without the bracing but I just think it looks better.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PaulS

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 23, 2016, 08:26:16 PM

There is nothing wrong with the posts without the bracing but I just think it looks better.

Tom, I quite agree.  Nice improvement on the freight house and really like the final placement you have planned for this, well done !!

Following along in the shadows,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

ACL1504

Quote from: PaulS on July 23, 2016, 08:57:37 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 23, 2016, 08:26:16 PM

Tom, I quite agree.  Nice improvement on the freight house and really like the final placement you have planned for this, well done !!

Following along in the shadows,
--Paul

Paul,

Thank you very much. It seems to fit that spot perfectly. I appreciate you following even from the shadows. 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I was talking to one of the SBG's(Greg DeMayo) about the roof and I mentioned I was going to follow the kit and use the rolled roofing. He suggested using the corrugated roofing material. I instantly agreed this would be a better choice for my structure.

I got the Campbell corrugated roofing panels and cut them to 3 HO scale feet in width. I dind't have any Transfer Tape but I found this at Hobby Lobby.

It worked fine. I laid three pieces of tape on the roof and started to add the corrugated panels.

I painted the panels with Floquil SP Light Gray and set the roof to the side to dry. Here is how it looks without weathering.

The corrugated panels really change the appearance of the structure as did the support cross bracing.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then worked on the loading dock support posts and trim boards.

The trim boards are thick paper so I glued two 10X10 HO scale strip wood pieces to the back of the trim board.

I then glued this section to the platform base and the side of the structure.

More to follow.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I neglected to mention that I used Floquil Antique White and dry brushed it on the walls, support posts and trim boards. I then added another application of weathering mix, Hunterline's Light Gray.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jimmillho

Tom,

It looks very good.......I may even add the bracing to mine as really makes the shed POP.

Jim

S&S RR

Tom

Looks good - the bracing really helps  - you do good work even with someone watching over your shoulder. I keep a bottle of wet water on my workbench to help control that problem.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on July 24, 2016, 09:42:06 PM
Tom,

It looks very good.......I may even add the bracing to mine as really makes the shed POP.

Jim

Butty Jim,

Thank you, the bracing makes it look like a kit out of a box instead of a kit out of a plastic bag. 8) 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on July 24, 2016, 10:22:42 PM
Tom

Looks good - the bracing really helps  - you do good work even with someone watching over your shoulder. I keep a bottle of wet water on my workbench to help control that problem.

John,

Thanks very much. I tried the water - maybe it wasn't wet enough! 8) 8) 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 25, 2016, 06:25:34 PM
Quote from: jimmillho on July 24, 2016, 09:42:06 PM
Tom,

Jim

Butty Jim,

Thank you, the bracing makes it look like a kit out of a box instead of a kit out of a plastic bag. 8) 8)

Tom ;D

Now that's funny!   :D   ;D  ;D

Looking good.  One of the things that I really liked about our visit to the FSM was the quantity (and quality) of the small structures spread all around the layout.  I like large structures but the small ones, like this one, really make do make a difference.  Like they say, "The devil is in the details."   ;) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 25, 2016, 06:26:53 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on July 24, 2016, 10:22:42 PM
Tom

John,

Thanks very much. I tried the water - maybe it wasn't wet enough! 8) 8) 8)

Tom ;D

That's probably it - the soap helps!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad