Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

John....

Even your construction photos with a ladder in it show what a cool RR you are building.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 16, 2018, 11:03:55 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on April 16, 2018, 10:16:55 AM
Dave

On the S&S RR the steam whistle is used to signal other facilities  on the sprawling Eagles Nest complex.  Especially important, lunch and end of the shift.

That's what I figured it was for, and why I thought it should be mounted outside of the building so everyone can hear.  It's my recollection that steam sawmills had whistles for the same reason (plus to alarm everyone in case of fire, a common occurrence in sawmills!)

dave

My time frame is 1949 so the only electronic communications would have been a telegraph in the mountains. After having my Grandson's here for the weekend, last weekend, I may just find another use for a steam whistle.  It involves light screens and fingers reaching in where they are not welcome. Just a thought. I'm actually looking into a button activated steam whistle for the boiler that the kids can push. If I remember correctly Slim has just what I need. ;)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on April 16, 2018, 11:44:58 AM
John....

Even your construction photos with a ladder in it show what a cool RR you are building.

Thanx
Bob

Bob

Thanks for the complement. It should also be noted that the bump hat on top of the ladder is one of the most important tools when working both above and below the layout. That bump hat has a number of scares that I would have had on my head.

That picture was taken with circuit 3 turned off. My layout room has 4 - 20 amp power circuits in an auxiliary box so I can turn off the power when I'm working on it without turning the power off for the rest of the house. The boss and CFO of the S&S RR likes that feature. When I designed it LED lights were not available, I could power the whole thing with one now - but it is nice to be able to turn off 25 % of the lights when I'm working on it.
John Siekirk

bparrish

John...

I know that LED strips will not operate off of a common zero up rheostat.  But they can be dimmed with a timer device that runs a variable on - off ratio.  Like a 555 timer chip up to a darlington pair transistor that will take the current load.

Have you considered something like that for a dusk setting?

Thus thinkin' out loud...

see ya
Bob

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on April 16, 2018, 03:58:42 PM
John...

I know that LED strips will not operate off of a common zero up rheostat.  But they can be dimmed with a timer device that runs a variable on - off ratio.  Like a 555 timer chip up to a darlington pair transistor that will take the current load.

see ya
Bob

The LED lamps that I'm using are supposed to be dimmable but I haven't tried it yet.  I'm not using the LED strips but replacing my incandescent lamps with LED lamps. I like having the option of putting the light right where I want it.  It should be easy to implement your idea - just replace my switch with the proper dimming switch. A future project. ;)
John Siekirk

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: bparrish on April 16, 2018, 03:58:42 PM
John...

see ya
Bob

For strip LED  lights there are a lot of neat solutions. Take this item for example: https://www.flexfireleds.com/juno-bluetooth-smartphone-single-color-led-dimmer/

If you're using LED floodlights that screw into regular 110V bulb sockets then dimable versions of the LED floods coupled with a LED compatible dimmer will work.

-slim

bparrish

S&S RR

John Siekirk

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

Wow Dave ! ! ! !

Ya really know how to hurt a guy.

thanx......... I think

Bob

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 17, 2018, 04:01:03 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on April 17, 2018, 01:54:25 PM
Quote from: bparrish on April 16, 2018, 05:40:02 PM
Somehow I knew slim would have a answer.

Thanx

Slim has lots of answers.
Some of them are even correct.  ;)

dave

Ouch! Slim has lots of good correct answers. My fault for being brief. ;) 
John Siekirk

bparrish

No apologies Dave. 

That was really funny.

See ya
Bob

Slim Jerkins

Thanx

dave

Like the broken clock that's right twice a day.

-slim

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looks great so far. Nice job on the boiler.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on April 18, 2018, 09:01:37 AM

Thanx

dave

Like the broken clock that's right twice a day.

-slim

;) ;D

Slim I'm working on an order for the sound circuits we talked about. I will be getting in contact with you with questions.
John Siekirk