The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Chip,

Our local ticket agent may limit "snow bird" seating on the local runs. Or maybe just increase the prices.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on December 31, 2018, 11:05:32 AM
Love the report on Saturday's activity.  Sorry I missed it.  Even limited activity on the A&S is fun to observe.   :D

Bob,

Our next run is Saturday, January 12, 2019. As bob Barker said, "Come on down!"

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on December 31, 2018, 01:58:31 PM
Judge

Great report! The upgrades on the A&S should pay big dividends.

John,

Thanks for stopping by. The Judge does a great job with the Saturday Report.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The Atlantic and Southern is closed for Babe duty this Saturday.

I spoke with the Judge, our resident Ticket Agent, and he has agreed to be the A&S Historian and report to the public the activities occurring on the A&S RR.

The railroad has many employees who have yet to be "dimed out" or heard from.

The Judge already introduced Will Fixer our maintenance flunky.

Stay tuned for future exploits on the AS railroad.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Hot diggidy dog.....more stories from Bill.....can't wait.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Unfortunately I will have to miss the 12th. I'll be in Cocoa for Prototype Rails.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

PaulS

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 03, 2019, 05:02:13 PM

I spoke with the Judge, our resident Ticket Agent, and he has agreed to be the A&S Historian and report to the public the activities occurring on the A&S RR.

Tom ;D

Happy New Year Tom, to you and the A&S Crew !!
I have generally been lurking as you bring your wonderful A&S to life.  It is looking excellent with each and every addition, outstanding !!  Also learning here on my end from your exploits and overcoming challenges along the way.

We have recently moved and are just getting settled in our new digs.  With that I am in the early planning phases of rebuilding version 2 of my Atlantic & White Mountain Railway.   First things first though with prepping the room for the railway.

And let me also add that I have been really enjoying the 'weekly reports' the A&S Historian (aka The Judge) as they bring another level of 'life' and the story behind the story to your A&S.

Tom, All the best to you and the Babe in 2019  !!!
And know that I will be following along with the exploits of you and the Crew; and perhaps one day I'll get down that way for a Saturday get together with you all.
--Paul
Marshfield, MA
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

ACL1504

Quote from: PaulS on January 03, 2019, 05:52:05 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on January 03, 2019, 05:02:13 PM

Tom ;D

Happy New Year Tom, to you and the A&S Crew !!
I have generally been lurking as you bring your wonderful A&S to life.  It is looking excellent with each and every addition, outstanding !!  Also learning here on my end from your exploits and overcoming challenges along the way.

We have recently moved and are just getting settled in our new digs.  With that I am in the early planning phases of rebuilding version 2 of my Atlantic & White Mountain Railway.   First things first though with prepping the room for the railway.

And let me also add that I have been really enjoying the 'weekly reports' the A&S Historian (aka The Judge) as they bring another level of 'life' and the story behind the story to your A&S.

Tom, All the best to you and the Babe in 2019  !!!
And know that I will be following along with the exploits of you and the Crew; and perhaps one day I'll get down that way for a Saturday get together with you all.
--Paul
Marshfield, MA

Paul,

Thank you very much for the kind and generous compliment on the layout and my work. I appreciate the time you took to voice your comments.

I believe over coming and meeting many of the challenges has given me a better understanding. A better understanding of just how much better and talented many modelers are when I compare their work to mine. There is certainly a sense of pride when one is solved.

I remember when I returned for Mississippi, after visiting Cliff's Magnolia Route layout, the desire in wanting to start over. Not only did I have to remove the old layout but then prepping the room for a new one. Trust me when I say don't rush it but consider prepping the new layout area as a model in itself. That's what I did.

Thank you for following along on this adventure. When you do get down this way, know that you are always welcome to come and take a ride on the Atlantic and Southern RR.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bruce Oberleitner

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 03, 2019, 04:50:34 PM
Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on December 30, 2018, 11:31:40 AM

The declining passengers situation is going to get even worse now that the "Gators" football schedule is coming to a close for this year.  No more passengers to take to the football games. 

:( :( :(

Brucie,

We'll increase the revenue by offering Diet Pepsi and story telling by the JUDGE. :P

Tom ;D

This sounds like a scheme that might work.  You realize of course that once those passengers get a taste of a refreshing Diet Pepsi they might become addicted to the stuff.  Maybe you could partner with the Pepsi Company to supply all those cans of soda for the passengers.

Btw, nice work on the railroad and tell the judge that the storytelling and reports are wonderful.

;D  ;D ;D

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 03, 2019, 04:51:24 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on January 03, 2019, 04:31:00 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on January 03, 2019, 04:14:37 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on December 28, 2018, 08:55:20 AM
Quote from: BandOGuy on December 26, 2018, 10:48:05 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on December 26, 2018, 08:13:26 PM
Looks great Tom..... 8)

Will they hold up to warp speed?

You bet.....It's built to withstand the worst.  ;)

Greg,

Well stated; however, we have yet to know for sure! Know what I mean?

Tom ;D

Yes, I know what you mean.....and you know that I'm available for test runs at a moments notice.  ;D ;D ;D

Greg,

I'll let you know as soon as we get out rocket fired locomotive.

Tom ;D

Oh my, rocket fired.....this just keeps getting better and better..... ;D ;D :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Over the past few months I've been building structures and working on a small area around the turntable roundhouse.

After this current build, the Gulf gas station, I'll be back to work on the layout most of the time.

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4113.0

I'm getting excited to start the track work coming off the Ovalix and onto the third level.

Also, every three to four years I get in the mood to paint more brass. It's been three years since the A&S RR shops have painted/repainted any locomotives.

One will be a B&0 2-8-0 by United/PFM. I replaced the open frame motor with a new Sagami 20X32 MM can motor. I also dropped in a new gear box. This loco will be lettered for the Atlantic and Southern.

Prior to any painting, I need to finish many started projects on the workbench.

The one major project is to finish adding marker lights to the brass cabeese.

Yesterday I drilled the holes for the Tomar Adlade Marker Lights.

I have four ready now but only have marker lights for three. I've ordered 10 more sets.

Tomar sold the marker light division. I'm not sure of the new owners name for their new business but they are a very nice couple. The markers are LEDs now and have to be hand made for my red, red, red lights in the markers. This is an extra cost but well worth it.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The marker lights come blackened so I hand painted them with Floquil Reefer Yellow, it took two coats.

Also, this weekend I acquired a small USRA 0-6-0 brass loco. The 0-6-0 is the smallest of the USRA types.

The box was marked as a PRR 0-6-0 class B28s. This is definitely not a Pennsy loco. It has all the classic signs of the USRA design. The brass model was imported by Alco in 1976 and retailed for $149.00, a lot of money in 1976.

I'll need to remotor this one as well.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Somewhere in the travels of the 0-6-0, the can headlight has been removed from the top of the smokebox. A new bracket mounted can headlight was added to the top front of the smokebox.

I'll need to fill the hole with solder and file smooth.

You may have noticed the L&N observation car in the background. This car has been lighted and populated and is waiting for a set of makers. The markers for the observation won't be painted yellow.

So you see, lots to do on the A&S RR.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Tom,

I'm looking forward to the new motive power on the A&S.  I cannot believe you made us wait three whole years since the last steamer went through the paint shop.
Jerry