The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Very nice Tom. Working signals really add to the realism.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

cuse

Signals look great. You can really see how well the shadowbox effect presents itself (on the lower level) in the video as well.

Nice job!

John

S&S RR

Tom

I thought I would let you know that I have been paying attention as I read your thread.  I just received a big box full of #8 Peco turnouts and flex track for my new section on my layout. My wallet is a little lighter but the trains will run good.  The new section is going to be all Peco - as long as I can get all the pieces.  I have a pretty long backorder list but it is all supposed to be here this month.  Thanks again for all the hard work posting - I don't care how long you have been in the hobby you will learn something reading this thread.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PennsyJ1

The signal bridge look great. It will really pop when you get the scenery in place. How many signal bridges are you going to have on this tiny model railroad?
Bill
Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 10, 2019, 05:41:57 PM
Very nice Tom. Working signals really add to the realism.

Curt,

Thank you. I agree and will be adding more in the distance future.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: cuse on February 10, 2019, 07:31:50 PM
Signals look great. You can really see how well the shadowbox effect presents itself (on the lower level) in the video as well.

Nice job!

John

John,

Thank you. Once the third level fascia is up the shadow box effect will look a little more professional.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on February 11, 2019, 08:36:17 AM
Tom

I thought I would let you know that I have been paying attention as I read your thread.  I just received a big box full of #8 Peco turnouts and flex track for my new section on my layout. My wallet is a little lighter but the trains will run good.  The new section is going to be all Peco - as long as I can get all the pieces.  I have a pretty long backorder list but it is all supposed to be here this month.  Thanks again for all the hard work posting - I don't care how long you have been in the hobby you will learn something reading this thread.

John,

Appreciate you stopping by. The PECO turnouts are a bit pricey but very much worth the expense. I used Micro Engineering on the second level. Although they work fine, I should have used PECO on that level as well.

As you know, you and I both enjoy posting our progress and I learn from this forum also.

By the way, I'm not using the PECO flex track. I'm using ME code 83 flex track.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PennsyJ1 on February 12, 2019, 04:53:00 AM
The signal bridge look great. It will really pop when you get the scenery in place. How many signal bridges are you going to have on this tiny model railroad?
Bill

Brother Bill,

Thank you, much appreciated. Scenery and buildings will really bring it all to life. I have three signal bridges and 18 single mast signals.

I'm trying to make this "tiny" railroad look huge like the one you have. 8) 8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Taking a break from wiring, I hate wiring, and decided to post early this afternoon.

When I wired the south side of the signal bridge, the left target was dead. I tested all before the install but I guess I crossed a wire and "fried" the LEDs,

I'll remove the signal bridge nest week and make the repair.

This morning I spent the better part of an hour locating my signals.

These are all 30 years old or older. They came off my old old layout. That would be three layouts ago.

I tested all of them and found 12 still working. Six others either had the red or green LED not working. I'll make those repairs next week when I repair the signal bridge. They were all kit bashed from Oregon Rails parts.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Installing signals tend to be tedious and frustrating, but look great on the layout.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 12, 2019, 06:54:12 PM
Installing signals tend to be tedious and frustrating, but look great on the layout.

Curt,

Appreciate you checking in, thank you. When finished, the signals will add much more realism to the layout.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Karl,

Thanks for stopping by my friend. For me, I get the same feeling wiring as I get going to the dentist for a root canal. 8)   :'(

Fun, yes, if only I could find someone better at it than I am. ;D ;D

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I now have 8 tortoise turnouts installed and wired on the third level. I also have 5 signals to wire but that story is for another day.

With the 8 Tortoise motors installed, it's time to add them to the DCC Loco Net with my Digitrax DCC system. I'm adding the Digitrax DS64 Stationary Decoder to control the motors.

I'll be using/adding three new ones to the other 7 I have installed for the second level.

These three will go next to the two on the bottom.

These are the tools I'll be using.

Six wire phone cable, six wire phone jack, crimping tool, screws and a small drill.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The three new ones are now in place.

Next I added the 6 wire phone cable with jacks for connecting them to the loco net.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com