Snug Harbor

Started by ollevon, May 12, 2014, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hi Sam:

I'm glad you liked the sign. I also see I can't spell my own name.

Karl

ollevon

Good morning everyone,
   Sorry for the delay of pictures, but I have been working on making a surf crashing on the rocks at the light house.   I made three attempts at it so far but none of them looked convincing enough for me.  I'm getting closer to what I want and hopefully I'll get pictures of it up soon. Stay tuned.
  Sam

DACS

Nicely done on the lighthouse. 

Just a thought here.  I have seen fiberglass fibers used with the catalyst, to make crashing waves.  Also used as waterfall bases.

Dave   HWCRR
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

ollevon

Thanks Dave.  I been toying around with making my waves crash into the rock face by using the same stuff I used on  this waterfall on my layout.

This is a great time to get some of this stuff because it's the stuff people use to decorate their house for Halloween, to make it look like it's covered with spiderwebs.  I think the waterfall came out pretty well.   So when I get the crashing surf done, I will surely post pictures
     If anyone is  interested in how I made the waterfall just let me know, and I'll write up some instructions and post them here. 
  Thanks 
  Sam

DACS

Ahhh, nice waterfall!
Now for something different.  I live in Seattle, so there are no shortages of sea gulls!  Everywhere you want to walk, a seagull has already been there and left its mark.
I really like your harbor scene.
I have seen very few, model bird poo.  As a matter of fact, ONCE!  It was, actually, very effective.  Your harbor scene, will definitely need some. :) ;) ::)!!  But, as the younger generation says...NOT! :) :)

Dave  HWCRR
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

ollevon

Thanks Dave,
    From the far Northwest to the far Northeast,  Your sooo right. There is no shortage of of seagulls.  I am using one building from my old layout on this project, and as you can see there is B-D on the roof.  The new kits I'm building, or built, are not fully weathered yet, but you can bet your bottom dollar there will be Do-Do.   This is New England after-all.  Thanks for picking-up on that.

Sam

PennsyJ1

Good looking water fall Sam. I would be interested in the making of the water fall that you have done. Also any pictures of the work in progress would be nice. I think everyone here loves pictures. ;D

Bill
Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

LongHornCaddy

Nice build!  I really like the lift bridge!

ollevon

Thank you LongHornC
Sam

ollevon

Good afternoon,  I been working on the back side of  Snug Harbor. Here are a few pictures of where I'm at.

Still a long way to go before I can add the water. Just hope I can get this done by Expo time.
  Have a good one
  Sam

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

ollevon

The wind is just starting to pick up.   Another words I just started to build the surf crashing on the rocks at the light house.    Next I will use Mod Podge gloss over the foam surf material and tease it up some, and after that dries I will finish it off with Invirotex .  I did a few test for this, and this seems to be the best method and looks more realistic.  I'll post the finished scene in a day or two.

Sam

nextceo

Hey Sam,

Is that cotton you used for the waves??

Thanks for sharing!
Alan

LongHornCaddy

Looking mighty fine Sam!

ollevon

Quote from: nextceo on October 29, 2014, 03:17:34 PM
Hey Sam,

Is that cotton you used for the waves??

Thanks for sharing!
Alan
Hi Alan,
     No this is not cotton, this is the same stuff I used on my waterfall. Now that we are close to