Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteLooking great , love the colors and detailing and the way the structures are going to be planted with the canal running through , can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks, Jan.

I'm having fun.  Hoping to get a bit more done today.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

I had a play with a railroadkits wall for the boiler house.  These walls are very rustic!  What do you think?  Please tell me.  If you think it sucks - say so (My wife does).  I have the timber walls all cut out and painted ready to go if needed...

IMG20240107114452comp.jpg

IMG20240107114458comp.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

R Edington

I like it and it looks very much like a dilapidated brick foundation
Rodney

jerryrbeach

Mark,

First of all, I really like the canal.  The way it is laid out so part of the canal serves as the concrete foundation for one of the buildings looks very prototypical to me.  The use of the stone for walls away from the structures looks great and adds a lot of interest to the canal itself. 

It may be the white balance on your camera, but the mortar in the brick wall looks too white for a wall in that condition.  I'd suggest darkening the mortar until it looks as old as the bricks themselves.  It seems to me some moss would also be growing in the mortar joints, at least in the northern US where I reside.  Might be different in your climate? 

I read a long time ago where Scott Mason said that the black bricks were more or less rejects.  I know you have a few in the wall, maybe if you added some black to a few more of the broken ones it would help explain the condition of the wall.  Bottom line, I'd say use the brick walls, unless you think the entire boiler house is too old for the rest of the factory buildings. 
Jerry

GPdemayo

Hi Mark.....if the term rustic is defined as very old, not maintained well or generally falling apart, I'll have to agree with Jerry.

If that is the look you are going for, the mortar joints and general appearance of the brick faces needs to be weathered to reflect an old and decrepit appearance . Lots of mold, algae, dirt, grime and crud would help give it look you may be going for. At this stage, it may be a little too pristine.

In looking at the missing and uneven spacing of the bricks, I would assume it to have been originally done by a poorly trained  or incompetent mason using an inferior mortar mix and more mortar patches where there are missing bricks may help a bit also.  :-\
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteI like it and it looks very much like a dilapidated brick foundation

Thanks, Rodney.

I was think foundations might work well for this brickwork.  Each sheet is made up of ten horizontal repetitions.  I think these would become very hard to hide on a larger brick wall, but on a foundation they wouldn't show.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteFirst of all, I really like the canal.  The way it is laid out so part of the canal serves as the concrete foundation for one of the buildings looks very prototypical to me.  The use of the stone for walls away from the structures looks great and adds a lot of interest to the canal itself.

Thanks for your comments on the canal, Jerry.  I tried to vary the materials to create extra interest - but with a bit of engineering logic (I hope).  I have another type of wall to use at the front of the diorama yet  The concrete retaining walls are cast from my own master. 

QuoteIt may be the white balance on your camera, but the mortar in the brick wall looks too white for a wall in that condition.  I'd suggest darkening the mortar until it looks as old as the bricks themselves.  It seems to me some moss would also be growing in the mortar joints, at least in the northern US where I reside.  Might be different in your climate?

No - not the colour balance - I used white chalk.  I was going for efflorescence (leaching of white mineral salts).  It is actually a fairly common aging sign, I believe.  I could try brushing on some grey or black.  I'll likely add some moss.  On the west coast where the rainfall is very high there is plenty of moss growing.

QuoteI read a long time ago where Scott Mason said that the black bricks were more or less rejects.  I know you have a few in the wall, maybe if you added some black to a few more of the broken ones it would help explain the condition of the wall.  Bottom line, I'd say use the brick walls, unless you think the entire boiler house is too old for the rest of the factory buildings.

I don't know how much truth there is in this.  My understanding is that the black bricks are made using a different process from fly ash which is a byproduct from coal burning powerplants.  They absorb more moisture than clay bricks - and so are more prone to efflorescence if left unsealed.  In this case your idea of adding more black to the rotten areas makes sense.

Thanks for all your input here, Jerry!  Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteHi Mark.....if the term rustic is defined as very old, not maintained well or generally falling apart, I'll have to agree with Jerry.

If that is the look you are going for, the mortar joints and general appearance of the brick faces needs to be weathered to reflect an old and decrepit appearance . Lots of mold, algae, dirt, grime and crud would help give it look you may be going for. At this stage, it may be a little too pristine.

In looking at the missing and uneven spacing of the bricks, I would assume it to have been originally done by a poorly trained  or incompetent mason using an inferior mortar mix and more mortar patches where there are missing bricks may help a bit also.  :-\

Thanks, Gregory.

I'll have a play with my next modelling slot and see what I can do.  Black mold, algae, moss, more mortar, more dirt and crud and weathering.  Tone down the efflorescence.  Fire the brick layer - goes without saying!

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Mark, Cheers,

Just getting caught up on the S&T RR thread. The storage and annex structure is wonderful. The canal and spill way will really catch the visitors eye. What a great scene and very well thought out and a masterpiece in progress.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteMark, Cheers,

Just getting caught up on the S&T RR thread. The storage and annex structure is wonderful. The canal and spill way will really catch the visitors eye. What a great scene and very well thought out and a masterpiece in progress.

Thanks, Tom.

You are too kind!  Having a great time.  I was up too late again last night...  Its rather addictive...  The hopper had been pushed behind other simpler builds because I knew it would be a bit of work.  It will be good to sink my teeth into.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

I've been working on the hopper for the wood chip storage.

Photo 1 - so here is where I'm up to.  Colours are Army painter oak brown and Vallejo343 shadows flesh mixed 3:1.
IMG20240122132731comp.jpg

Photo 2 - shows the housing for the auger which moves the wood chips across the canal to the main mill.  I used the motor off a lathe casting to drive the auger.  I made a former on my drop saw for the housing and then cut and filed slots to fit around the hopper floor supports.  I glued this in place and then cut and fitted and glued in 8x2 to cover.
IMG20240122132746comp.jpg

Photo 3 - on the other side is the pipe in which the auger spins and moves the woodchips to the mill.  I drilled a 5mm hole in the end of the former and attached a short piece of 5mm plastic tube.  I piece of 6mm tube will fit snugly around this and span the river, perforating the end wall of the mill.
IMG20240122132802comp.jpg

Photo 4 - shows and angled view.  I have added NBW castings to the large outer timbers.  At this stage I wasn't happy with the size of the roof, but the chunky timbers were in the way for a larger soffit.
IMG20240122132816comp.jpg

Photo 5 - to address this I added some 8x2 trim up the rake of the gable end walls.
IMG20240122175148comp.jpg

Photo 6 - and also cut a beveled piece out of some 12x4 to add on top of the front and back wall.
IMG20240122175156comp.jpg

More soon, cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Mark,

That's really a nice job on the wood chip hopper.  IMO the bracing is spot on.  I really like the way you designed and built the auger, using the lathe motor for the auger drive is well done.  that's the kind of detail a viewer who looks closely really appreciates.

Jerry
Jerry

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteGreat looking progress Mark.

Thanks, Curt.

Just slowly chipping away at things.  I should get a bit more done on Thursday.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteThat's really a nice job on the wood chip hopper.  IMO the bracing is spot on.  I really like the way you designed and built the auger, using the lathe motor for the auger drive is well done.  that's the kind of detail a viewer who looks closely really appreciates.

Thanks, Jerry.

I'm pleased you like it.  I had to talk myself into cutting that lathe casting in half!  I do agree, though.  Its an important detail that helps add believability.

Cheers, Mark.