Shadowlands and Tellynott

Started by Mark Dalrymple, July 04, 2019, 05:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Photo 1 - After adding the 8x2 trim I cut a new roof from some thick black card.  I glued some 1.5mm sheet styrene to the interior underside to give it some extra strength and to make sure the building platform for the aerial covered conveyor intake (yet to be built) is solid and flat.  Here we see the rafter tails along the front.
IMG20240123162225comp.jpg

Photo 2 - shows an end view with the fly rafters.  I used 4x2's for the rafters.
IMG20240123162215comp.jpg

Photo 3 - shows the hopper at an angle.  I'm much happier with the proportions of the new roof and the wider soffits.  Well worth the effort, me thinks.
IMG20240123162209comp.jpg

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

A quick update.

Photo 1 - So I have made up black card roofs to be covered in various roofing types.  The shipping/ storage building still needs its piles.  That's the tool house in the front.  I liked it on an angle to the canal.  There is a porch to be added to the canal side.
IMG20240208224521comp.jpg

Photo 2 - here is the other side of the tool house.  Also some tiny dormers to build and add.  My different retaining walls have been added to the front along with some rockwork.  The canal walls have all been stained/ painted.  I painted the canal bottom dark brown, but after consideration, went for black instead.  I read in my Thorndike Mills instructions that's what Bob did.  I've also found some pretty realistic photos of model canals where black was used online.  The roofing iron on the hopper is almost complete.  I've also built the chip conveyor belt intake.
IMG20240208224510comp.jpg

Photo 3 - Lastly, an end view of the hopper.  This also shows the stack I am planning to use.
IMG20240208224533comp.jpg

More soon, cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Coming together nicely Mark..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteComing together nicely Mark..... 8)

QuoteLooks very good Mark.

Thanks very much, Gregory and Curt, and thanks for taking the time to stop by.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

I thought I'd update my plan and schematic.

Photo 1 - You can see the pulp mill near the centre of the layout.  It kind of puts the scope of the whole project in perspective!
IMG20240211180218comp.jpg

Photo 2 - Schematic drawings.  The bottom schematic enlarges the horizontal distance axis to allow me to fit in all the bridges and tunnels.  Sorry about the misspelling in the title.  I thought it had an 'h' in it, but copied it without the 'h' from a model railroader mag!  I have corrected it on my master...  Unless there is an American spelling?

More soon, cheers, Mark.
IMG20240211180155comp.jpg

Cheers, Mark.

Jerry

Looks great Mark.  That will be a wonderful layout to operate.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

cuse

Wow...what a great design.

That peninsula to the left is going to be amazing. Makes me think of Dick Patterson's HOn30 Dolly Varden, which was featured in MR many many years ago...just lots of complexity of bridges, controlled viewing angles in and out of a deep canyon and track coming and going unexpectedly popping out of tunnels.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteLooks great Mark.  That will be a wonderful layout to operate.
`

Thanks, Jerry.

The trains will no doubt be a little shorter than I would like because of the 4% ruling grades, but I just couldn't get the drama I wanted with vertical displacement between tracks on a smaller grade.  For that I would have needed a significantly bigger room.  Its all about trade offs and deciding what you want most.  I've tried hard to put together something that will work and be interesting to operate and hopefully be able to keep five people busy.  I studied lots of my favourite designs, but I also wanted to design the layout myself.  I'm looking forward to winter when the weeds stop growing and getting back into the layout room for some extended periods.  Only 3 1/2 months to go...

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteWow...what a great design.

That peninsula to the left is going to be amazing. Makes me think of Dick Patterson's HOn30 Dolly Varden, which was featured in MR many many years ago...just lots of complexity of bridges, controlled viewing angles in and out of a deep canyon and track coming and going unexpectedly popping out of tunnels.

Thanks, Cuse!

I'm pleased you like it!  There were a few trade offs that had to be made - largely because the layout grew from the original urban layout into the specific space I found at my disposal.  I agree - that peninsula should be exciting to build.  I sacrificed the width of the trackwork along the left wall in order to keep the peninsula larger.  I did the same thing in the area behind Tellynott - keeping the layout against the back wall wide at the cost of the layout width on the flip side of the back wall of Tellynott.  This was to keep the longitudinal scene under those high bridges and all the way down to the tall timber trestle nice and wide.  I am a big fan of the Dick Patterson's design you mention. I love the longways view in from the end of the layout.  The ore dock is also a big influence on my own (high wharf).  I also own the book 'Steel rails and Silver Dreams' by Darryl E. Muralt - which is a history of the Dolly Varden mines and narrow gauge railway.  One can easily see from the prototype photos why it was such a popular area to model!  So many great scenes in such a small area!  I think the wharf and smelter would have also been interesting to model and made a great scene.

Cheers, Mark.

cuse

I love that "into the canyon" view. I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like it - particularly as (kind of) the basis of the whole layout design- so creative and 'out of the box' thinking...I have studied and studied the two profiles I have found and saved (Narrow Gauge & Shoreline Gazette NOV/DEC 1991 & MR MAR 1997). I know the issues because both are out and on my desk. In fact, I was poring over it and I keep coming back to the "Alice Arm" wharf scene (I think you also referred to) as a potentially perfect solution to my present track planning conundrum...I was honestly looking for Ore Bunker designs like he used. 

deemery

I wonder what happened to that great O scale Dolley Varden layout that was at Seacoast when Seacoast Modeling Center closed....  I remember seeing that at an NG Convention, it was incredibly well done.

Mark, looking more closely at the track plan:  No way to turn a locomotive at Wilmot?  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

You attention to detail in drawing up the plans is incredible.  The finished product is going to be awesome.  

Jeff

Mark Dalrymple

Quotethe two profiles I have found and saved (Narrow Gauge & Shoreline Gazette NOV/DEC 1991 & MR MAR 1997).

I don't know that I have seen the NG&SG article, Cuse.  I have these on disc so will look that one out.  I, too, have the MRR issue out in my layout room as inspiration - along with some Malcolm Furlow and John Allen articles.  I agree that the layout is quite groundbreaking and really shook my modelling world.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark Dalrymple

QuoteMark, looking more closely at the track plan:  No way to turn a locomotive at Wilmot? 

Thanks, Dave.

I'll consider this issue.

Cheers, Mark.