Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on November 09, 2020, 07:59:23 AM
John,

The barn looks fantastic, great job. It looks perfect in that spot.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words, my friend. I'm really enjoying this project - it's a very fun build.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

The barn looks beautiful there. It will definitely be a eye catcher. I can't wait to see the outside farm details.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 09, 2020, 09:30:02 AM
The barn looks beautiful there. It will definitely be a eye catcher. I can't wait to see the outside farm details.

Curt

Thank you for the encouraging words - the details are on the workbench in various stages of build.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks, John.

Yes -that answers my question.  I just thought with your fantastic work ethic, you might have had a very rigid timeframe set out for every structure - dates for completion etc.  I'm pleased you don't!  As you elude to - I think that would make it feel far too much like work rather than a hobby.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on November 09, 2020, 01:05:10 PM
Thanks, John.

Yes -that answers my question.  I just thought with your fantastic work ethic, you might have had a very rigid timeframe set out for every structure - dates for completion etc.  I'm pleased you don't!  As you elude to - I think that would make it feel far too much like work rather than a hobby.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

You are exactly right. In my working life I managed the tool & die programs for new vehicles. Job description - get everything built to make the sheet metal for a new car program launch.   A little time pressure involved. The S&S RR has no launch date or completion date. We plan on enjoying the journey. 

Bye the way, I made some changes to my build list after further review of my continually changing plans for Vansel. ;) ;D

I'm playing with a new concept - I know you enjoy this part of building a layout as much as I do.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Before I moved the baseboard for Beach Farms back to the workbench I took a series of pictures at different angles to help with placement of the out buildings on the farm.  I thought I would share them to help with visualization as I added things on the workbench.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Very nice job sir... Love the way it came out....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, That is really some impressive work my friend.Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Keep It Rusty

I spy with my little eye, Delebarre Tap & Die!

Great model. I want it!

Lovely work, Sir. Very impressive.

jerryrbeach

John,

At least in my area the farm house and main barn are usually built with the facing sides parallel, and that is how you have the barn and house situated in your planning pics.  However, if you shift the house so the long front is at an angle it leads the eye into the scene toward what is now a hole in the scenery.  Ditto the small outbuilding.  If you turn it so the wall parallels the edge of the foam it is a more interesting scene than how it is now.  An added bonus is that by placing the buildings at angles to each other it makes the scene look bigger.  When the structures are parallel, the brain easily calculates the distance between them, by shifting them you fool the viewer's brain into thinking the scene is larger than its actual size.  Also, by shifting the structures you can use the sightlines between them to draw the viewer's eye deeper into the scene rather than leaving their focus on the edge of what is a wonderfully deep space.  I hope I explained this in a way that makes sense.
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: Rusty Robot on November 10, 2020, 10:58:18 AM
I spy with my little eye, Delebarre Tap & Die!

Great model. I want it!

Lovely work, Sir. Very impressive.

Thank you for following along and yes you do spy Delebarre Tap & Die - and right next to it on the side of the mountain is Threadwell's  - so Bob VanGelder's first two kits are side by side. Thank you so much for the kind and encouraging words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 10, 2020, 06:09:10 PM
John,

At least in my area the farm house and main barn are usually built with the facing sides parallel, and that is how you have the barn and house situated in your planning pics.  However, if you shift the house so the long front is at an angle it leads the eye into the scene toward what is now a hole in the scenery.  Ditto the small outbuilding.  If you turn it so the wall parallels the edge of the foam it is a more interesting scene than how it is now.  An added bonus is that by placing the buildings at angles to each other it makes the scene look bigger.  When the structures are parallel, the brain easily calculates the distance between them, by shifting them you fool the viewer's brain into thinking the scene is larger than its actual size.  Also, by shifting the structures you can use the sightlines between them to draw the viewer's eye deeper into the scene rather than leaving their focus on the edge of what is a wonderfully deep space.  I hope I explained this in a way that makes sense.

Jerry

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I have the barn position set - at least it's glued down but I'm still going around and around with the placement of the farm house. I like your thought process and will give it a try - pictures to follow, tomorrow.
I have a number of ideas floating around but I'm playing with the idea of putting the chicken cop and pig pen in the foreground in front of the barn - they will be down the hill in elevation.  I want the area between the barn and the house to be open so the viewer can see the tractor sheds and cattle loading pens that will be next to the siding. And also, the horse barn and single mill that will be across the tracks. I will put a few more buildings in place with the farm house oriented as you suggested and take some pictures. - Stay tuned.

I spent 4 hours on my tractor, today - cleaning up the leaves.  Also, ended the day by putting the plow on for my winter chores. The tractor also got it's regular maintenance - oil change, and lube job. I was a regular suburban farmer, today. ;)
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Sounds like an excellent plan.  Looking forward to the pics.
Jerry

S&S RR

So I oriented the farm house as Jerry suggested - at least I think I understood what he was proposing.  Jerry let me know if I messed it up.

First, here is a markup picture that has a few notes where I plan to put some of the other buildings in the diorama.

I added  the cardboard under the farmhouse to show the footprint with the front porch and additions.

John Siekirk