Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 07, 2021, 04:56:51 PM
John,

Dang my friend you are fast, I'm slowly catching up. Fantastic job for sure. Love all the big structures on the S&S.

Tom ;D

Tom

As always, thank you for following along and the encouraging words.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here is the picture of the original baseboard in location on the layout.  I have a hard copy of this picture hanging over my workbench for reference as I add details.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is what it looks like when you zoom out a little and can see the surrounding scenery that I will be blending in to, to complete the scene.  The rocks will all have the same colors. The river banks will also have lots of rocks and stones.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a progress picture where you can see what I accomplished, today.  More stone work, and a basswood foundation for the boiler house.  Sand will be used to bring the landforms up to the level of the basswood. Once the glue is dry on the landforms, the coal will be added under the trestle and the trestle, itself, will be added.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a dry fit of the partially built boiler house on the foundation.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is an update on the Tucker & Cook / S&S RR Crew Quarters build.  I mentioned last week that I was going to add a portion of the wall from the backwaters from when the building was a mill.  The story is that the mill pond was filled in to make the Eagles Nest Yard.  I cut the bottoms off from the wall castings that I'm using for the Sayles Mill build and they made a perfect fit wall casting for the Crew Quarters build.  I just needed to get the etching tool out and cut texture and mortar joints into the top of the wall sections.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the wall castings glued in place.

John Siekirk

deemery

Looks good!  I wonder if that area would be a bit swampy, that might be an opportunity to do some different scenery techniques.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

And here is a few photographs after round one of scenery.  Round two will come after the build is in place on the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 08, 2021, 02:13:12 PM
Looks good!  I wonder if that area would be a bit swampy, that might be an opportunity to do some different scenery techniques.

dave

Dave

The area directly behind the diorama is track work so I don't think we will have the opportunity to model it as a swampy area. It will make sense once it is in place on the layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a progress photograph of the Sayles Mill build at the end of the day, today.  I added another layer of glue to the areas that will have water so this build is going to be in the glue drying status for a day or two.  The landforms around the boiler house foundation are also in and drying.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also declared that the bench work was complete on the S&S RR Crew Quarters and moved it to the layout.  It is staged ready to go into position when the scenery work is completed in the area. I have to come up with a plan of attack on completing the scenery where I can reach every square inch of the area to be worked on.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

With this move I had an empty workbench that needed a clean sheet of paper and a new project.  Next up on my build list is the John Allen Icing Platform, a FSM kit.  This is one of George's earlier kits, you  can tell by the yellowing paper on the instructions. I have already cut a piece of gator board for the baseboard - this build will go in front of the Crew Quarters on my layout.

John Siekirk