Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I did some more work on the Sayles Mill Build, today.

Here is a picture from the dry fit of the castings for the walls and water trough.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You can see from this picture that I filled in the baseboard underneath the tower with foam to bring it up to the correct level.  The tower came off easy I just ran a razor blade along the glue lines. I made a number of changes to the castings to get the levels I wanted for the water trough and backwaters castings. I also moved the wall out about 1/4 inch farther from the main structure to allow for more room for the track.  I fill then filled the gaps with basswood.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the build at the end of the day with lots of glue drying.

At this point the wall castings only have a coat of primer.  I will achieve the finish color with stains and soft pastel chalk.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I will glue the tower back in place after I add the timbers for the trestle leading to the coal drop in front of the boiler house.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Exciting stage, John.

Looking mighty fine.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on August 01, 2021, 01:37:46 AM
Exciting stage, John.

Looking mighty fine.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you, it all starts with a good foundation.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 01, 2021, 02:46:15 PM
Hey John:

That's coming along just nicely.

Karl

Karl

As always, thank you for following along and the encouraging words.
John Siekirk

deemery

I don't know if Russ did the rockwork for SRMW, but his wall castings look to be a good match if you need more:  https://www.nebrownstone.com/blog/product-category/dry-stacked-stone-walls/

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 01, 2021, 05:07:46 PM
I don't know if Russ did the rockwork for SRMW, but his wall castings look to be a good match if you need more:  https://www.nebrownstone.com/blog/product-category/dry-stacked-stone-walls/

dave

Dave

Thank you for the link - I'm familiar with Russ' castings.  He really has some nice stuff. I actually made some molds of  the Castings that come with Bob's kits. The kits are designed to be dioramas so you need to make your own castings for the opposite wall when you are completing the scene for your layout. I also have some nice castings left over from the Tucker & Cook build - I didn't model it as a mill so I didn't use them on that build. The story on the S&S RR is the mill pond was filled in for the Eagles Nest Yard. Interesting thought  - maybe I should have one of the castings showing like it was filled in.
John Siekirk

deemery

John, I'm looking forward to seeing how you work up the yard to make it look like a filled in mill-pond!  That's an interesting scenic concept to ponder.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on August 02, 2021, 08:46:30 AM
John, I'm looking forward to seeing how you work up the yard to make it look like a filled in mill-pond!  That's an interesting scenic concept to ponder.

dave

Dave

Yes - I have been pondering it ever since I mentioned it.  We will see what I can come up with.
John Siekirk

cuse

Beautiful work John. I really admire the order as well as the magnitude.