Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

John really like the way your doing this one.  Your planning and thinking are top notch!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: cuse on August 03, 2021, 09:32:09 PM
Beautiful work John. I really admire the order as well as the magnitude.

John

Thank you for following along and the kind words, my friend.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on August 04, 2021, 10:16:40 AM
John really like the way your doing this one.  Your planning and thinking are top notch!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the encouragement. I do spend a lot of time planning and thinking about the layout when I'm traveling - I'm always ready to get back at the building when I return.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

S&S RR

Here is an update on my Sayles Mill Build.  I'm continuing with the build of the backwaters, the tower installation, and the start of the trestle for the coal delivery spur for the boiler house.

The stonework is going in using the same stones that are used in the background scenery.

The base of the tower required some holding while the glue dried.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Just using a level was not enough to make sure the tower was strait.  You need to get back a ways and eye ball it. It took a few iteration to get all the moldings to line up at the same level.  I just sanded of the bottom of the tower to get it right.

Final step for today, was to set the piers for the coal delivery trestle. She is level and and the right height.  Ready for some timbers tomorrow.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

You will notice that I'm using the Titebond III wood glue to make sure I have a waterproof base for my water pour. I may add another layer of glue before I paint it.  I need to decide how deep I want the pour to be.  As usual, Bob's pictures are displayed in the background for reference.  The trusty red direction book is open on my rollaway beside the workbench.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looking good. Can't wait to see more on this project.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Karl and Curt

Thank you so much for stopping by the thread and the encouraging words.
John Siekirk

jrmueller

Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, John.

It sure is some nice stone work.  Will there be a waterfall dropping into the start of the diorama?  Are you going to add spackle to the join and re-carve?

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: jrmueller on August 07, 2021, 10:54:58 AM
Hi John. Looks like quite an engineering project!

I'm having fun with this - I haven't had to get out my Calculus book yet. ;D
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on August 07, 2021, 04:03:31 PM
Looking great, John.

It sure is some nice stone work.  Will there be a waterfall dropping into the start of the diorama?  Are you going to add spackle to the join and re-carve? 

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

The water is going to be coming into the Mill Pond through culverts that run under the track work. There will be a series of waterfalls as the water leaves the pond and makes its way to the river below. The stonework will blend right into the surrounding  scenery.  I just printed myself a picture of the baseboard in position on the layout so I know how far to go while it is on my workbench.  I will then blend the scenery into what I have done on my workbench. As you know this is my favorite part of the hobby. I have had to make some height adjustments to Bob's original design to make things work on my layout site.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Dang my friend you are fast, I'm slowly catching up. Fantastic job for sure. Love all the big structures on the S&S.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com