Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on October 27, 2019, 01:27:14 PM
John good to see you back in the buildings again.

Beautiful back drop and your planning of what's to go there sounds like a winner.
Looking forward to this area of development!

Jerry

Jerry

Thanks for stopping by and the kind words - I'm looking forward to building structures again.  All this wiring has made me crosseyed.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update: This weekend, the track work in the expansion got a good workout from Wayne Olson and I. We found three areas that I wanted to change before moving on to ballasting and detailing the track. Yesterday, I made those changes. I'm also working on two turnouts that are not getting proper power distribution. I will be doing some testing today to see if I can find out what is causing the problem.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You will notice in the picture above that my logbook is open. I keep notes on how everything is wired, attached, etc. so I can remember what I did for future changes and or problem solving. This book has saved me so many times.  Oh, I should mention that I also take pictures and have a log book on my iPad with copies of the pages from the paper logbook. I have tried many times to go completely electronic but I always come back to the paper and pen logbooks for the complicated areas. The hookups for the upper level (Phase V) of this area are already in place and labeled on the control panels and in the books. It will be a number of years before they get used and I will not remember what I did without the books.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

You've been busy. One of my least favorite things to do is trouble shoot a wounded area. However, one the other end, a great satisfaction occurs when the problem is fixed/solved.

Nice job my friend.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

John,

A log book, why didn't I think of that?  Of course, then I'd have to remember where I put the book...
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 28, 2019, 05:10:11 PM
John,

You've been busy. One of my least favorite things to do is trouble shoot a wounded area. However, one the other end, a great satisfaction occurs when the problem is fixed/solved.

Nice job my friend.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thanks for stopping by and the words of encouragement - I hate trouble shooting electronics but it just got to the done. I have one turnout out of over 50 in this section that is giving me more gray hair. I have perfect voltage before and after the turnout and the frog juicer is working just fine but the locomotives are stalling because the voltage is dropping down to a little over 6 volts in the turnout. There has to be a problem with one of the jumpers on the underside of the turnout so I have to either use jumpers or pull the turnout. It is the most difficult one to change out right in the wall between the North and South yards. ::)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 28, 2019, 06:20:27 PM
John,

A log book, why didn't I think of that?  Of course, then I'd have to remember where I put the book...

Jerry

I take pictures of each page of the logbook for my iPad, so everything is backed up in the cloud. Not that I have ever lost the log book. ;) :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[  Actually, the log book that I'm using now is volume 15.  I carried a log book with me to work on design work in hotel rooms and during boring corporate meetings back when I was working. The log books are the same as the ones we used for applying for patents so I never got any questions about taking notes in the log books.  Many of the sections of the layout started as design sketches in my log books.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

If you look at the picture above you will see a roll of orange duck tape. We used the tape to mark any trouble areas. As you can see, in the picture, all of the tape has been removed except for that one stubborn turnout (it's the turnout on the left just as the track goes through the wall).  It's time for another round of testing, as soon as I get it fixed.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  We have workbench activity on the S&S RR. My new workbench is all setup for the Swakhammer's build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

First Step: Test fit the big castings. I will have some time invested in fitting the castings together and adding all the window castings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

And on my rolling workbench I have the Fox Run build started.  Step one the main walls.

John Siekirk