Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I need to sleep on the yellow background of the sign. It looks a lot brighter in the pictures than it does to my eye on the workbench.  It may need some welding smoke.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

jerryrbeach

Quote from: S&S RR on March 12, 2020, 09:27:35 PM
I need to sleep on the yellow background of the sign. It looks a lot brighter in the pictures than it does to my eye on the workbench.  It may need some welding smoke.

John,

Interesting how the camera renders what it captures differently than what we see.  Even so, toning down that yellow with a little chalk wouldn't be a bad idea.  Probably more people will be acquainted with your layout via photos than visiting in person.
Jerry

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on March 13, 2020, 07:23:41 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on March 12, 2020, 09:27:35 PM

John,

Interesting how the camera renders what it captures differently than what we see.  Even so, toning down that yellow with a little chalk wouldn't be a bad idea.  Probably more people will be acquainted with your layout via photos than visiting in person.

Jerry

Thank you for following along and yes it does need to be toned down for photographs.  I have some test signs made to try a few things before I go for it on the sign already attached to the building.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The traveling crane is going in on the Grandpa John's Welding company build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Also - made a first attempt on a spare sign to tone down the yellow background color.  In this case I used a A&I wash followed by the yellow chalk that I used to tone down the clapboard siding on the main structure. 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You will notice that the sign mounted on the building doesn't appear as bright yellow at this angle as it did in the previous picture.  My test sign does look better to me and I may take it a little further on my next test.
John Siekirk

madharry

Lovely modelling John, I particularly like the rockwork - stunning.

Mike

S&S RR

Quote from: madharry on March 15, 2020, 07:12:42 AM
Lovely modelling John, I particularly like the rockwork - stunning.

Mike

Mike

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some more progress on the Grandpa John's Welding build today. I completed the traveling crane with appropriate quality control inspections. This picture is for Tom.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I took these progress pictures just prior to starting to add the detail castings.  I also have to turn the baseboard on my workbench and build the stairway on the left side of the building.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

deemery

The sign looks a lot better with some weathering.  You might want to consider some more fading, if it still looks a bit too stark to you.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

John,

I really like how this is coming together.  The crane really adds eye candy to an already beautiful model.
Jerry