Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

On my workbench the materials that came with the kit are being sorted.  I also made cardboard plan view templates for each of the major buildings along with a silo mockup to help with visualizing the placement and elevation for the scene.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also pulled out a piece of 1/2 inch gator board to serve as my baseboard.  This will be mounded to a foam base which will give me the stack up required for the elevation change. Both the foam and the gator board will be mounded to the 3/4 inch plywood base that you see in the pictures.
John Siekirk

Jerry

After seeing Greg build his on RR line.

It will be great to see what you do with this kit.  I'm sure it will be another wonderful build with a different twist than Greg did.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on July 29, 2020, 08:28:02 AM
After seeing Greg build his on RR line.

It will be great to see what you do with this kit.  I'm sure it will be another wonderful build with a different twist than Greg did.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the encouraging words - there will be some twists for sure. Right now I know there will be a different placement of the structures and some added structures. We will see where it takes us.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

One of the techniques that I use for a build project is to take pictures of the major templates and drawings, prototype pictures, layout placement drawings and add them to "notes" in my iPad. This way I can mark them up and think through how I want to do things when I'm traveling.  I have a printout of the notes for this project sitting on the workbench in this picture that I'm using to create the baseboard for this build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

To establish the elevation for my baseboard on the layout I place the baseboard on "bench cookies" to establish the height off the plywood benchwork.  The "bench cookies" are 1 inch high - the height of the foam panels that I use to buildup the final scene.  Here is a picture of the cookies and my initial setup of the panel.  You need to start out with everything level.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This kit looks great on all four sides so along with the best elevation to show it off I'm also trying to get the best orientation of the buildings, especially the barn with the interior detail - visible through the open doors. I spent a lot of time studying the pictures and the viewing angles possible from this layout location. The cardboard templates and baseboard placement really help me with this process.
John Siekirk

Jerry

John I forgot to mention that Greg found a few mistakes when building this an noted them in his build.

If that helps you any.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

I will be very interested to see how you do this, John.

To me, these structures combined with a rail siding suggest 1000's of acres of grazing land.  Do you have plans to change some of your background scenery?  To me, at present, it looks far to rocky and steep to suggest any grazing or even access for the cattle.  I guess even hacking some sort of path leading to pastures beyond, maybe with these painted on the backdrop could work?

Cheers, Mark.