Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

So I got the picture problem solved.  Mark will not have to squint to see these pictures.  When you do an export in
Apple Photos there are two sizing boxes.  I produced this picture by setting the size to low but the picture to full size. I tried a few different combinations but this seems to give the clearest picture at a size where you can see the detail. We will give it a try for a few days and see if I want to make another change.

The concrete portion of the foundation is primed with light gray acrylic primer.  The stone portions of the foundation, started with a spray coat of sand camo paint. I will be applying soft pastel chalks to individual stones. As you can see from this picture I have colored random stones the first color.  I'm matching the stone colors to the colors of the stones in the area where the barn will located.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on August 16, 2020, 06:20:59 PM
Still squinting at your progress from the land of the long white cloud, John.

I'd say 'looking good' because I'm sure it does, but...

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

I hope you can see the new photographs better.  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is what the walls looked like after 6 or so colors had been added.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is what the walls looked like when all the colors had been added, top casting, and after the blending process with a soft brush, bottom casting.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, after some more blending.  I use raw umber tint on the soft brush to blend everything together.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

On the casting painting front.  My John Deere tractors are get authentic paint colors.  I had a can of touch up paint from my 1:1 John Deere Tractor.

John Siekirk

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I brought a bunch of detail castings with me to the Northern Hqtrs. of the S&S RR (my cabin in Northern Michigan) for painting. Here is a picture of my workbench.

John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

You are one dedicated modeler to take that to your vacation home. I find that I do sometimes need more down time that I did in my youth.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 19, 2020, 09:52:38 AM
John,

You are one dedicated modeler to take that to your vacation home. I find that I do sometimes need more down time that I did in my youth.

Tom ;D

Tom

I have been retired now for almost 8 years and I thought my interest in modeling would fall off once in and awhile, but so far I just enjoy modeling. I get away from it a few weeks at a time when we travel and I'm ready to get back at it. This year we haven't been traveling and I still haven't got bored with spending so much time modeling.  I even did a model railroading related activity while I was fishing, yesterday.  I found a place along the river where this is some nice fine sand that I use for my roadways on the layout. I filled a 5 gal. bucket and brought it home with me.

I think because there are so many different aspects to our hobby I just change the project, and renew my interest, if something is starting to get old. I do look forward to getting back to traveling, especially when there is a train convention involved.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

I agree with all you've stated. I've been retired now for 22 years and find that after spending 60+ years in the hobby, I just need a break from all aspects of the hobby. It only last no longer than a week but it seems more frequent lately. :'(

Hobby on my friend.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on August 19, 2020, 11:05:47 AM
John,

I agree with all you've stated. I've been retired now for 22 years and find that after spending 60+ years in the hobby, I just need a break from all aspects of the hobby. It only last no longer than a week but it seems more frequent lately. :'(

Hobby on my friend.

Tom ;D

Tom

I think it is safe to say that we have put in enough time that we can do what we feel like doing, now. Although, I have only been at the hobby for 32 years. I started when my first daughter was born and I need to have a hobby that I could do at home. Thank you for stopping by the thread and the encouragement. I sure have enjoyed watching your layout progress over the years.
John Siekirk

Jerry

John & Tom it is so good to know you two guys.

That you have that much dedication to the hobby!!

To bad there isn't a machine that could duplicate you guys the hobby needs it!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln