Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on August 20, 2020, 08:01:27 PM
John & Tom it is so good to know you two guys.

That you have that much dedication to the hobby!!

To bad there isn't a machine that could duplicate you guys the hobby needs it!!

Jerry

Jerry

Wow - two of us. You may want to rethink that.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The window castings are all painted and the window glass is drying for the G. Wiliker's build.

You can see my pallet of chalks for the wall castings for a couple of out buildings for the Whispering Falls build in the foreground.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are the wall castings all primed and ready for the pastel chalks.  These are the wall castings from two different C. C. Crow kits that will be companion structures in the Whispering Falls build.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on August 22, 2020, 09:05:11 AM
Hey john:

Looking good. Can't wait to see more.

karl

Karl

Thank you for following along and the encouragement.  I'm working on models, today, so I should have some more done soon.
John Siekirk

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on August 23, 2020, 09:12:59 AM
John

What do you use for the window glazing?

Jerry

Jerry

I have been using canopy glue, lately.  I have also used window glaze.  I will take a picture of the bottles so you know exactly what I'm using. I definitely have less trouble with air bubbles using the canopy glue but that could be a shelf life issue. I like the way it photographs much better than using the clear plastic sheet that comes with most kits and window castings. The clear sheet tends to act like a mirror and produce unrealistic glare.
John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

John,
Thanks for raising the bar for all of us to look up too...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on August 23, 2020, 02:20:12 PM
John,
Thanks for raising the bar for all of us to look up too...
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you for the kind words.  Speaking of bars, I'm sure looking forward to get together at the next EXPO or Narrow Gauge Convention. I think some of the best clinics take place when we get together for our favorite beverage after the convention is done for the day.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: S&S RR on August 23, 2020, 11:55:29 AM
Quote from: Jerry on August 23, 2020, 09:12:59 AM
John

What do you use for the window glazing?

Jerry

Jerry

I have been using canopy glue, lately.  I have also used window glaze.  I will take a picture of the bottles so you know exactly what I'm using. I definitely have less trouble with air bubbles using the canopy glue but that could be a shelf life issue. I like the way it photographs much better than using the clear plastic sheet that comes with most kits and window castings. The clear sheet tends to act like a mirror and produce unrealistic glare.

Jerry

Here is the picture I promised.

I remember seeing a thread recently that said the packaging may have changed on the Canopy glue. I have a bottle and a half and then I will need to check out the new or repackaged stuff.  Does anyone have an update?
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some more progress on the Whispering Falls build, today.  I glued the foundation to a 1/16 inch thick project board and then glued that temporarily to a 3/16 inch gator board for holding everything in place while it's on my workbench.  This will be a lot easier than gluing everything to the large base board right from the start. I painted the project board black so it will be covered with dirt and serve as the floor of the ground level of the barn. Here are a few pictures of the process.

The white board is my 1/16 inch thick project board sitting on the gator board. I added a dab of glue in each corner to hold it in place on the gator board.  The main base board for this build is being glued together in place on the layout I will move it to my big workbench when I'm ready start putting all the subassemblies together and build the complete diorama.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

This whole process started when I decided that the foundation needed to be glued together and held in place while the glue dried to keep everything lined up and square.  Here is what it looked like when I glued it down to the project board.  I think I used every square I own - except for the one that was in use on my layout table for the G. Wilikers assembly process.  More on that later.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also started putting the walls together for one of C.C. Crow kits that I will be using as an out building for my Whispering Falls build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm also continuing to put the walls together for the G. Wilikers build.  Here is a picture of the Driftwood Stain going on before I add the white pastel chalk for the paint.  I will have some pictures of these walls finished, tomorrow.

John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, John.

I really like the coloring of the stonework.  I do notice a number of air bubbles in the first blown up photo that you may want to address.  I see you opted for timber sills and lintels for the windows.  They appear to have wood grain in them(?)  Is this mentioned in the instructions?

Cheers, Mark.