The Atlantic and Southern Build, Part 1

Started by ACL1504, December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Wow, you're getting a lot of work done.  Thanks for the reminder of the hot glue Tortoise installation.  It's been so long since I did my last one, I'd forgotten it! 

Jeff

ACL1504

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 03, 2014, 07:44:37 AM
Wow, you're getting a lot of work done.  Thanks for the reminder of the hot glue Tortoise installation.  It's been so long since I did my last one, I'd forgotten it! 

Jeff

Dr. Jeff,

Yes, I've been a busy little worker the past week or so! Thanks for stopping by, much appreciated.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Tom....

The idea of hot gluing the switch machines is a super idea.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Erieman

Good Afternoon Tom,

I took a break from picking pods and started digging a tench for buried irrigation lines to a couple of new trees. I must be absolutely nuts to be doing this stuff this time of year. It's @*%ing hot out there. so here I sit, computer in my lap, sweating like a dog, the fan blowing on me to cool me down, typing this post.

Absolutely great job on the ovalix. And I like the way you mount the switch machines. Russ and I do something similar. If I could be so bold, may I make a suggestion. Instead of using super glue to fasten the brass rod to the plywood, use hot glue there as well. No waiting, or very little at best..Just don't burn you fingers!

Another 110 degree day here in the desert, so I will be in the train room for the rest of the day! Yes, more shingles. I think I can finish one side of the station.My wife keeps coming in to make sure that I am still alive ( sound familiar) and always asks when and if I am going to vacuum the floor. AFTER the shingles are all done!!!

Well, back to it. Keep up the beautiful work. Can't wait to see the three levels as they branch out from the corner. Go build a structure!

Frank / Erieman

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 03, 2014, 07:38:50 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on July 02, 2014, 09:34:32 PM
Tom

You have been very busy- it is looking great!

John,

Yes, I've been busy on this. I need to get it finished so I can build a structure!

Tom ;D

Tom

So define finished? If you feel like building a structure for awhile then just do it.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: bparrish on July 03, 2014, 02:32:27 PM
Tom....

The idea of hot gluing the switch machines is a super idea.

Thanx
Bob

Bob,

Thanks for stopping by for a look see. I came on the hot glue for Tortoise machines when I was under the layout, upside down, in some exorcist body twisting mode, trying to hold the machine in place and at the same time screw it in place. The hot glue solved all those issues! :P :P :P

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Erieman on July 03, 2014, 02:35:27 PM
Good Afternoon Tom,

Absolutely great job on the ovalix. And I like the way you mount the switch machines. Russ and I do something similar. If I could be so bold, may I make a suggestion. Instead of using super glue to fasten the brass rod to the plywood, use hot glue there as well. No waiting, or very little at best..Just don't burn you fingers!

Well, back to it. Keep up the beautiful work. Can't wait to see the three levels as they branch out from the corner. Go build a structure!

Frank / Erieman

Frank,

Morning Frank and Happy Independence Day!

Thanks for the comment. I actually forgot to mention that the CA glue was to hold the linkage in place while I tested the machine and linkage. It's kind of scary how we are so much on the same page. I did in fact go back to the linkage and "hot glued" the linkage in place after I was satisfied with the operation aspect of the mount. In the past, I've found it much easier to remove and fix a badly aligned linkage with only the CA glue as opposed to taking a plier and removing it! I'll be sure and add this info to the thread in my next post. Again, thank you for the reminder.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on July 03, 2014, 09:52:56 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 03, 2014, 07:38:50 AM
Quote from: S&S RR on July 02, 2014, 09:34:32 PM
Tom

You have been very busy- it is looking great!

John,

Yes, I've been busy on this. I need to get it finished so I can build a structure!

Tom ;D

Tom

So define finished? If you feel like building a structure for awhile then just do it.

John,

Thanks for the visit, much appreciated. By "finished" I meant I wanted to get the ovalix finished before starting a structure build. And while I'm building a structure, I can then move on to the rest of the bench work.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Shoudln't you be building something?
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 04, 2014, 09:50:15 AM
Shoudln't you be building something?

Yes sir, I'm building an ovalix!

Tom ;D ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Tom!  My you've got a lot of work done!

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Quote from: mark dalrymple on July 04, 2014, 05:57:49 PM
Looking good, Tom!  My you've got a lot of work done!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark,

Thank you, very much appreciated! More coming soon to a thread near you!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In one of the last posts, Erieman, Frank Baker, mentioned that he would also add a little hot glue to the copper tube to hold it securily in place. I actually did this but I didn't mention it in the thread. Anyway, here is a photo of what I did. I used CA glue and a spot of hot glue.

Here are a few progress photos. No narrative necessary - I don't think!

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Tom, aren't you worried about bumping into that Tortoise jutting into the center?  The layers are going up pretty quickly, nice work.

Jeff