The Atlantic and Southern Build, Part 1

Started by ACL1504, December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I did find the time to get a lot more work done on the ovalix but mainly the second level.

First, I feel obligated to set the record straight. The official drink, libation, nerve block or any category you choose to place it in,. is DIET PEPSI! My Babe's, Pam, official drink is COKE and CROWN ROYAL! Okay, now on to the trains!

The next few photos show the second level complete.

Continued in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

As I did on the first level, I did extensive track testing on the second level. By this I mean I made sure every track joint was smooth to my fingers and the test car. I again ran my ACL 4-8-4, 4-6-2, E7 and double headed Seaboard GP-9's around and through each turnout several times and several times in both directions. Before I move on I want to make sure the track work is as perfect as possible as once I move up to the third level repair will be next to impossible.

In the next couple of photos you can see where the brass 4-8-4 is on the ovalix track just past the turnout leading to the second level.

The next set of photos show you the ACL R1, 4-8-4 crossing the turnouts from the ovalix to the second level runaround track. I'm happy to report that the loco and train passed though here without incident. Remember I said I did extensive testing?

Continued in a few. It's Diet Pepsi time!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

You can see the train has now made the loop and is coming up to the front of the second level. If the train took the first turnout, the engineer would have the ability to enter the ovalix to go up or cross over the turnouts and leave the ovalix area in the opposite direction.

If the train were going in the opposite direction and the engineer wanted to go down the ovalix, he would use the cross over mentioned above, enter the ovalix and go down the ovalix. Basically, the runaround tracks are nothing more than a very large oval reverse loop.

I think by now many of you know I strongly believe in the 5P's principle!
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Here's an example. Track work that is level and correct!

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The next four photos show you the track and the lower level runaround. Sorry about the lack of a depth of field, I used my Sony Cybershot for the photos. You are looking from front to back and left to right.

Thanks for following along.

I'm taking a break from the layout and ovalix building for a week or so! I haven't built a structure since June of last year and I need to get my hands back in the glue and my nose back in the smell of Floquil paints.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Well, I said I was going to take a break but nobody noticed I said it, so never mind! I need to get this ovalix and related track finish before I can take a break. Other wise it will be on my mind the whole time.

Today I installed four Tortoise switch machines. These however, had to be installed on top and to the side of the turnout. There was no room to install them under the plywood. You can see the issue in the next three photos.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I placed a Tortoise  switch motor on the plywood at a distance from the turnout and made sure I had the proper clearance so the train had room to pass. I marked where the Tortoise was to be located. I made sure the Tortoise throw bar was on the same line as the turnout throw bar. I then drilled a hole where the Tortoise throw bar would point down and through the drilled hole.

The top of the turnout throw bar is a scale 4" above the plywood. I used a scale 4X12" piece of stripwood and glued this piece on the plywood in line with the throw bar. You can see this in the previous photo. For those in Orlando, it will be the photo above.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Love you guys, just kidding as I'm sure no one is reading this drab stuff! :o :o :o

I then cut a piece of copper tubing a little shorter than the scale 4X12" stripwood. I used copper as opposed to brass as I couldn't find my brass tubing but I did find my copper tubing. The tubing is 3/32". When I cut the tubing I found burrs in the hole and I cleaned out the hole in the tubing with the sharp blade end of a #11 Xacto blade. Refer to the photo below!

I then took a piece of .032 Music Wire and with a neddle nose plier made a loop in one end. I then cut the wire longer than needed and slid it through the copper tubing. I placed the copper tubing on the scale 4X12" stripwood with the Tortoise throw bar wire through the loop in the wire as shown below!

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then measured where I needed to cut the wire so it would fit the turnout throwbar. The wire was bent down and perpendicular to the loop in the other end.

I then did a fit test. Also, I cut the end of the wire to less than a scale 4". This end is to fit in the hole on the throw bar and you don't want it drag on the plywood. Okay, when I said I cut the wire to less than a scale 4", is was just a SWAG
(scientific wild ass guess) cut!

When satisfied with the placement and ease of throw bar movement, I added a drop of CA glue to each side of the copper tubing. One drop will do as you don't want the glue to get on the wire.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I let the CA glue dry for an hour and then attached the Tortoise to the plywood. I didn't use screws for this. I used a little hot glue to secure the Tortoise. If you've never done this don't be concerned about trying something new or different. For this particlular install it is necessary for one very good reason. If the motor was to ever fail, I can get in and knock it away with a small hammer. No concern of damage as the motor no longer works. Anyway, knock it away and glue on another one. I've used hot glue to secure a Tortoise to the underside of plywood for the traditional install as well.

Trust me here! When the glue dries the motor won't move and you will need a small hammer to knock it loose. Now you don't need to know how I know this bit of minutia.

Two motors on the runaround track installed.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I installed two other motors on the inside of the ovalix in the same manner as the others. On these two I did need to glue on plywood so the motors could be installed. The three photos below show this install.

Easy peasy!

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

gnatshop

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 02, 2014, 07:29:35 PM
Also, I cut the end of the wire to less than a scale 4". This end is to fit in the hole on the throw bar and you don't want it drag on the plywood. Okay, when I said I cut the wire to less than a scale 4", is was just a SWAG
OK, NOW the rest of the SBG can understand this part of the explanation!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bruce.oberleitner

Nice work Tom!  Looking good!

One question.  How did a stockpile of Diet Pepsi survive long enough in the man cave for you to take a picture of it? 

;D ;D ;D

S&S RR

Tom

You have been very busy- it is looking great! 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: gnatshop on July 02, 2014, 08:15:17 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 02, 2014, 07:29:35 PM
Also, I cut the end of the wire to less than a scale 4". This end is to fit in the hole on the throw bar and you don't want it drag on the plywood. Okay, when I said I cut the wire to less than a scale 4", is was just a SWAG
OK, NOW the rest of the SBG can understand this part of the explanation!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gman,

Well, let's hope so anyway! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: bruce.oberleitner on July 02, 2014, 09:17:17 PM
Nice work Tom!  Looking good!

One question.  How did a stockpile of Diet Pepsi survive long enough in the man cave for you to take a picture of it? 

;D ;D ;D

Bruce,

Thanks for the visit! The Diet Pepsi is constantly being restocked! Not to worry, I never run out! Well, I run out to get more but the stash never runs low! 8) 8) 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on July 02, 2014, 09:34:32 PM
Tom

You have been very busy- it is looking great!

John,

Yes, I've been busy on this. I need to get it finished so I can build a structure!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com