The Atlantic and Southern Build, Part 1

Started by ACL1504, December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Twist67 on April 10, 2014, 10:18:30 AM
Hi Tom,
nice to see your layout developing...hope to see some benchwork done,soon  ;)

Regards,Chris

Chris,

Thank you and it's great seeing you over here so WELCOME!

I hope to see some benchwork soon myself - I just need to get past the palnning stages.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Okay, after several months of discussions, reviewing possible layout plans, etc, etc, and more etc, I've decided on how to proceed with my idea of what I want.

The actual track plan is still in the works but here is the ovalix plan. I mentioned I liked very much Frank Baker's idea of a double track helix with one  overlapping the other. Frank noted this would give me alot of running time . After some very serious considerations and many sleepless hours I came up with my idea of an oval helix to move the trains and give me additional running time as well.

I settled on a one track ovalix with the idea that a train engineer would have to call the dispatcher to get clearance to enter the ovalix no matter what level his train is on.

I spent many an hour with my other friend, Greg DeMayo, (Yes, I actually have two friends) drawing ovals, etc, etc, and more etc. Greg was able to get into my head and put into CAD (cranial attitude dysfunction) Frank's and my ideas.

I wanted to be able to enter the ovalix from one direction only on Level 1, going up and Level 3 going down. To do this the track plan required the use of two reverse loops on each level as well. This would allow the engineer to reverse his train in order to enter the Level 1 (staging level) ovalix from the SW corner of the ovalix. For your reference, in the two photos below the train would be entering the oval from the left side.

The following two CAD drawings show the Benchwork Dimensions and the  Track Centerline Dimensions for Level 1.

Continued in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

This is gonna be fun to figure out.  I used to lose track of my train on your old layout.   :o    ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

The train leaves Level 1 and can get off at Level 2 or continue on to Level 3.

If the train exits at level 2, it would enter the turnout on the left side of the diagram and use the crossover at the bottom and out onto level 2.  Once the train enters level 2 you have three options. One is the train can continue to lap around the walls in this direction by using the 36" radius behind the ovalix to go from South to North. The second option for train movement is to exit the ovalix at level 2 and continue out onto the layout using the crossover and then go North(Right) to the 200"R area. In this direction the train can reenter the ovlaix and continue up. The third option is to reverse the train by using the reverse loop, use the bottom crossover to enter the ovalix and go back down.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Bob,

Thanks for checking in, the SBG will be test engineers on the A&S! No pressure or anything like that!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Now that we are all very clear on the level 2 options, the train arrives at the top of the ovalix and out onto Level 3. This level is essentially the reverse of level 1 in that you enter the layout going in one direction. You can use the reverse loops to change directions to lengthen your running time, same as on level 2. However; you will have to reverse your train and reenter the ovalix in the opposite direction to go down. There is no crossover on Levels 1&3.

Continued in a few minutes.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Gregory was kind enough to add two additional drawings.

One is of the cross section of the ovalix area and the other is the cross section of the benchwork at each level.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 01, 2014, 04:07:45 PM
Craig was kind enough to add two additional drawings.

One is of the cross section of the ovalix area and the other is the cross section of the benchwork at each level.

Tom ;D

Who is Craig and why is he getting credit for the drawings?

On second thought, maybe giving him credit is good. Think about it, he gets all the blame when things start running amouk when all the guys are over there running trains!

Good idea - Great Plans Craig..... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Okay, I couldn't resist! Since you spelled dimension with an "i" instead of an "e" in the first two diagrams, I figured I'd misspell Greg! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Sorry Butty, alls fair in railroading. Just ask Uncle Gman from Arkansas!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 01, 2014, 05:18:45 PM
Okay, I couldn't resist! Since you spelled dimension with an "i" instead of an "e" in the first two diagrams, I figured I'd misspell Greg! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Sorry Butty, alls fair in railroading. Just ask Uncle Gman from Arkansas!

Tom ;D

Hey, I just couldn't resist having a little fun at your expense.  ;D ;D ;D

If I didn't have Pegi here to proof my reports, I'd have a big problem with some of my clients! It gets gruesome sometimes.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 01, 2014, 05:24:22 PM

Tom ;D

If I didn't have Pegi here to proof my reports, I'd have a big problem with some of my clients! It gets gruesome sometimes.....

Greg,

To be honest, I just had an all to often senior moment. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Tom :D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

gnatshop

Now, this is a confuzzin' passel of shtuff for us normal folks!  ;D ;D

The Ledbetters and Candy are readin' and re-readin' it, but it may take
a few months (or years in redhead time) to sink in!
However, I still nominate Candy for the first engineer to take a train
around the 'ovalhicks'!  ::) ::) ::)
We'll all be waitin' for 'film at eleven'!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Meanwhile, Jaime is lookin' for the right 'Thinkin' Hat'!

Myself - I'm prepared!

ACL1504

Gman,

Thanks for stopping by and getting confused. Speaking of Candy, I haven't seen much of her over here.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 01, 2014, 05:38:43 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on May 01, 2014, 05:24:22 PM

Tom ;D

Greg,

To be honest, I just had an all to often senior moment. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Tom :D

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, besides at least your senior moments are funny!
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Miss placing a letter here and there is just part of the hobby - just like spending all that time looking for your tools. Time to go back in the layout room and look for my dremel.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad