The Atlantic and Southern Build, Part 1

Started by ACL1504, December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: bparrish on May 26, 2014, 05:37:21 PM
Tom...

Good start..............

You had me nervous for a while when you tore out all the old stuff......... I wasn't sure how much down time you were going to claim before you started again.

Very cool

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for checking in, much appreciated. I was down about 6 months which actually had me a bit nervous. I'm on a good schedule now and it will be fun to build the three levels along with the ovalix in the middle.

I'm very happy your are doing well! Prayers have been answered and they will continue for sure.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Tom,

Looks like no grass is growing under your feet. You are progressing like a man possessed. I forgot, you are possessed / with Railroad fever. and track! I assume that is only for reference and that cork or some other sub strait will be forth coming. Looking great. I can't get over the speed of you build. You are the man! Keep up the good work because I'll be watching.

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

Quote from: Erieman on May 26, 2014, 10:40:00 PM
Tom,

Looks like no grass is growing under your feet. You are progressing like a man possessed. I forgot, you are possessed / with Railroad fever. and track! I assume that is only for reference and that cork or some other sub strait will be forth coming. Looking great. I can't get over the speed of you build. You are the man! Keep up the good work because I'll be watching.

Frank / Erieman

Frank,

Thanks for checking in. Two long weekends sure help in getting stuff done. Well, that and no "Honey do" list! I don't plan on having any roadbed or cork on the lower level or ovalix.  The ovalix is just going to get trains from here to there. Using cork as a roadbed adds the thickness of the cork in height to each loop. Due to my lighting valance on the walls I need to make sure I have room for structures on the top level without interference from the valance.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Boy, is Bill going to be happy.....now he can run a train around & around & around & around & around & around & around & around.....just getting dizzy thinking about it!  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 27, 2014, 10:49:38 AM
Boy, is Bill going to be happy.....now he can run a train around & around & around & around & around & around & around & around.....just getting dizzy thinking about it!  ;D

Greg,

Yes, Bill will be happy to be running a train, when he gets around to it!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Greg and I mentioned that Bill would be happy to be running trains once again. Well, he was very happy to be running them around and around mainly cause that's all he can do at this time. We used Bill's Degitrax Zephyr to test the track and ovalix instead of the Super Chief. The Super Chief Digitrax Command Station will be used as I get further along in the construcion phase of the layout. Here is Judge Bill Eaton at the throttle.

One of the things I did the past few days was to add some horizontal bracing and removing some of the vertical support posts. The next three photos show where I added the horizontal bracing and removed the posts. This gives me a little more room for storage.

You can also see in the three photos above that I've got the first loop of the ovalix complete.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Great progress......

So what is the next step on the Plywood Jct RR  ??? ?

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

ACL1504

This morning was spent adding a portion of the second loop to the ovalix. As mentioned in a previous post, the first level rises to a height of 3" at the zero point on the bottom of the loop to that same point just above it. I used 1X2's cut 3" to support the remaining loops. This gives me a very consistant grade from here on.

The next two photos show the 3" blocks in position. These blocks are located above the bottom loop support braces for stability.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: bparrish on May 30, 2014, 04:41:56 PM
Great progress......

So what is the next step on the Plywood Jct RR  ??? ?

see ya
Bob
Bob,
This portion of the plywood junction will be to complete the three levels of the ovalix. Once that is complete and operating smoothly I'll start the rest of the layout. It's critical to get this portion installed and operational.

Thanks for checking in on the build.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I glued the second level loop piece to the end of the first loop section and laid the section on top of the 3" white 1X2's. The two sections are where you see the Quick Grips in the left of the photo.

The second section loop will be glued and screwed as I move up the ovalix. The 3" supports need to dry prior to securing the loop section. In the photos above and below, note the section is just resting on the supports. You can get the idea of the ovalix moving up from here.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used the MTH Challenger to test the ovalix clearance. The Challenger starts in front of the ovalix, runs around the back, enters the oval from the left and up the incline. You can see at 3" I have plenty of room between the levels of the ovalix.

This morning the Judge and I tested the runaround track and the short section of the ovalix. We used an E6A diesel, a 4-6-2 and 4-8-4 brass loco and a GP-9 with a consist of about 18 cars. We went forward and backwards, reversed direction and repeated the process with each loco. We only experienced one derail and it was the R1 class4-8-4 brass loco. It wasn't the track but the loco. It is an early version of Overland Models brass. It only derailed that one time.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PennsyJ1

Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

ACL1504

Quote from: PennsyJ1 on May 30, 2014, 05:23:48 PM
Looking good Mr. Tom  :D

Bill,

Thanks very much, I appreciate you followiong along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Oh ............ now it's getting really cool.............

Big Steam ! ! ! ! !

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

cuse

Exciting developments!!

Looks great...one question, no homasote or cork?

Hope to inspect soon...John